«1. Thybony Paint and Wallpaper, 5440 N. Clark, Est. 1927 Owner Jim Thybony’s grandfather was a painter and paper hanger in Sweden. When he came to ...»
National Main Streets Conference
Andersonville Tour Handout
1. Thybony Paint and Wallpaper, 5440 N. Clark, Est. 1927
Owner Jim Thybony’s grandfather was a painter and paper hanger in Sweden. When he came to
the United States in 1886, he opened a paint store at Clark & Chicago, one of Chicago’s original
Swedish enclaves. From there he followed the Swedish community up Clark Street, first
opening a new store in the Swedish community near Belmont & Clark, and then, in 1927, he
and Jim’s father opened a store at 5505 N. Clark in Andersonville. The store operated at that location for 50 years and then moved to its current home in 1977. Jim grew up in the city, including a few years in Andersonville in his early childhood. The Thybonys also have a wallpaper shop in Glenview and a commercial and industrial and wallcovering distribution business on Kedzie.
Date: 1961 Architect: unknown Original Owner: unknown Historic Use: stores Historic Occupant: A&P Grocery Current Use: retail Current Occupants: Thybony Paint and Wallcoverings Number of Stories: 1 Building Materials: brick Architectural Style: unknown Building Description: This building is rectangular in shape one story high with a side gable roof. The building is clad in painted brick. The Clark Street elevation has three main bays each with three fixed windows. There is a central triangular pediment above the center bay. At the peak of the roof in the center is a small coupula with a tower.
2. Philadelphia Church, 5437 N. Clark Date: February 11, 1921 Architect: A.V. Frisen Original Owner: Capital State Bank Historic Use: bank Historic Occupant: Capital State Savings Bank Current Use: restaurant; religious Current Occupants: (5423) Noodle Zone; (5437) Philadelphia Church Number of Stories: 2.5 Building Materials: limestone Architectural Style: Neoclassical
3. Calo Theater Building, 5402-5418 N. Clark Two theaters served the Swedish-American community in early Andersonville; the Calo Theater and the Temple Theater. The Calo Theater and complex (5402-5416 North Clark) was one of a chain of movie houses owned and operated by the Calo Theatre Co. It was opened in 1915 for the Ascher Brothers circuit and originally seated about 800 people. The theater has been used for various forms of entertainment, including a bowling alley, and was most recently the home to the Griffin Theatre Company, which performed live theater. Several merchants currently serve the community in the original Calo building and several more make reference to the Calo name, including the Calo Restaurant (5343-45 North Clark Street), a former building occupant.
Date: April 7, 1915 Architect: George H. Borst Original Owner: Calo Theatre Co.
Historic Use: theatre Historic Occupant: (5402) Ernest Gustafson Jeweler; (5404) Ann Helen Frock Shop; (5406) Calo Candy Shop, Calo Theatre; (5408) Lakewood Radio Service; (5410) Vacant; (5412) Calo Building, Rooms 1-8, Calo School of Dancing, Rooms 9-10, Calo Dental Laboratory Current Use: retail, restaurant Current Occupants: (5402) Tomboy; (5404) Brown Elephant; (5406) Pasticceria Nataliana; (5408) Pink Magazine/White Attic; (5410) Bon Bon; (5414) 2 x 10 Nails; (5416) Marrakech Treasure;
(5418) In Fine Spirits Number of Stories: 2 Building Materials: brick, terra cotta Architectural Style: Commercial Style with Spanish Baroque Revival Building Description: This building is rectangular in shape, ten bays wide and three stories high with a flat roof not clearly visible from the street level. The building is clad in brick with terra cotta detailing. The ground floor has various storefronts with replacement doors and windows. There are still terracotta frames around the existing main door and transom. There is a large two-story arch with a pediment, which says “The Calo Theater.” The second story has sets of two three-over-one double-hung windows with limestone frames. There are ten sets of windows total; two on the south end of the main entrance and eight on the north end.Paired brackets are located at the corners beneath the terra cotta cornice. A cartouch above the window is flanked by figures in bas relief, seashells and musical instruments. Floriate designs are incorporated in the cornice atnd coping at the roofline.
4. Swedish Bank Building, 5400 N. Clark, built 1913 Many banks opened in the Andersonville commercial district in the early 20th century, a sign of neighborhood prosperity. The events of three banks were reported in the Chicago Daily Tribune. Next door to the Calo Theatre, in a distinctive white terra cotta clad building, was the Swedish-American State Bank (5400 North Clark), erected in 1913. In 1912, an article in the Chicago Daily Tribune announced, “New State Bank Formed: First Meeting of Stockholders of the Swedish-American Concern Held Yesterday Afternoon.” The article lists a number of prominent Chicagoans acting as stockholders of the new Swedish American State Bank such as A.J. Earling, E.F. Mack, Charles T. Boynton, Alexander H. Revel, W.O. Johnson, Charles G. Dawes and Oscar A. Kropf.
Date: January 13, 1913 Architect: Ottenheimer, Stern and Reichert Original Owner: Swedish-American Bank Historic Use: bank Historic Occupant: Swedish-American State Bank Current Use: restaurant Current Occupants: Hamburger Mary's Number of Stories: 2 Building Materials: terra cotta Architectural Style: Commercial Style with Classical Detailing Building Description: This building is rectangular in shape, two stories high with a flat roof not clearly visible from the street level. The building is clad in white glazed terra cotta. The south east corner of the ground level of the building has fixed plate glass storefront windows with a purple awning above. There is an entrance on the north and center of the building. On the second floor, there are terra cotta piers and stylized paired classical pilasters at the building’s corners. The pilasters have capitals that are a modified Ionic. The second-story wall surface is largely filled with a semi-circular tripartitie window. The surface above the window has very thin vertical accent strips capped with foliate details. An oversized and decorative keystone rests below the entablature and above the window. The keystone portrays the Chicago municipal “Y” symbol with a stylized eagle. The projecting entablature has organic rounded forms repeated in line. An unadorned cartouch is situated in the center of the tympanum, flanked by two cornucopias with fruit. The corners of the parapet are topped by flanking scrolled projections. The cornice line below the tympanum is egg and dart moulding.
5. Edgewater Historical Society, 5358 N. Ashland, Est. 1988 The Edgewater Historical Society was founded in January of 1988 to involve the Edgewater community in the preservation of its history. The impetus to form the Society was the 1986 celebration of the Edgewater Centennial, during which the Edgewater Community Council conducted an oral history project. From that project grew a great interest in researching and documenting neighborhood streets and structures.
Date: September 18, 1925 Architect: unknown Original Owner: unknown Historic Use: firehouse Historic Occupant: Engine Co. No. 79 Current Use: office Current Occupants: Edgewater Historical Society Number of Stories: 2 Building Materials: brick Architectural Style: Vernacular Firehouse Building Description: This building is rectangular in shape, two stories high with a flat roof not clearly visible from the street level. The building is clad in brick with limestone detailing. The main entrance is centered with a small awning and is recessed with fixed storefront windows flanking the door. The second floor has two sets of two sixover-six double-hung windows with limestone sills and keystones at the lintel level. The roof line has limestone coping.
6. Sunburst Flowers/GreenSky, 5357 N. Ashland, Est. 2006 GreenSky, the store, was founded by local architect, Thom Greene and his wife Nadeen Kieren in 2006, in order to establish a local, eco friendly retailer in this building which had previously been shuttered for 20 years. GreenSky is Andersonville’s first Green America approved business. A local flower shop, Sunburst Flowers anchors the main corner storefront. Thom and Nadeen’s sister business, GreenSky Company, founded in 1999, has rescued & restored several other local turn of the century rental buildings, garnering them multiple awards.
Date: September 6, 1898 Architect: Chas. A. Strandel Original Owner: Nicholas Schlitz Historic Use: store & flats Historic Occupant: A.G. & Florence Geldbrandt Current Use: retail Current Occupants: GreenSky Number of Stories: 2 Building Materials: brick, pressed metal Architectural Style: Commercial with Queen Anne detail Building Description: This building is rectangular in shape, two stories high with a flat roof. The building is clad in brick with limestone detailing three protruding, pressed metal bays, one of which is a corner bay with a metal tiled tower roof. The ground floor has a corner entrance with contemporary storefront windows with a canvas awning over the storefront. The apartment entrance on the Ashland Avenue. There is another storefront on the Balmoral Street elevation with a canvas awning. The second story has a corner multi colored pressed metal decorative turret with double-hung windows. There is a set of two double-hung windows flanked by brick pilasters with limestone capitals on the Ashland elevation. There are two decorative three-sided bays on the Balmoral elevation, with double-hung windows. There is a painted pressed metal cornice that runs the length of both elevations of the building.
7. Swedish Bakery, 5348 N. Clark, Est. 1928 In the heyday of Andersonville’s Swedish business district, Swedish Bakery was one of a halfdozen bakeries on the strip. It is the last Swedish one remaining, and it continues to have a strong and devoted clientele from inside and outside of the neighborhood. Currently under its fifth ownership, since 1979 it has been in the capable and talented hands of longtime Andersonville resident Marlies Stanton and her three children, George, Dennis, and Kathy. In 1992, an expansion marked a new beginning for Swedish Bakery. The bakery tripled its size and went from 18 employees to the current staff of 55. Today, Swedish Bakery still remains the ultimate neighborhood sweet stop. Traditional Swedish products continue to be made, as well as an infusion of other European and old fashioned American items. Patrons come from all over the city and suburbs to enjoy Swedish Bakery’s acclaimed goods, and customers nationwide request deliveries from the Swedish Bakery website. Marlies’ children spent most of their childhoods in Andersonville and are constant fixtures on assorted neighborhood boards and committees. Marlies and George continue to live in the neighborhood.
Date: (5346) October 30, 1899; (5348) March 18, 1908 Architect: unknown Original Owner: unknown Historic Use: stores Historic Occupant: (5346) Economy Shoe Repair Shop, F.J. and Laura Baxter; (5348) Clark Style Shop, Alex and Julia Nelson Current Use: bakery Current Occupants: Swedish Bakery Number of Stories: 2 Building Materials: brick Architectural Style: unknown
8. Calo Restaurant, 5343 N. Clark, Est. 1963 In May of 1963, Jack Rizzo opened Calo Restaurant at 5402 N. Clark, in what is now known as the Calo Theatre building. In 1971, current owner Victor Recchia, Sr. bought the restaurant and, in 1979, he moved it to its current location. Now operated by Victor Sr. and his two sons Victor, Jr. and Vince, the Recchia’s have been wonderfully successful in adapting their restaurant to change as the neighborhood has changed over the years. In 1982, the tavern next door was purchased and turned into a private banquet room. In 1983, the lot across the street was purchased for parking. In 1999, the banquet room was needed for extra daily seating and was made a part of the main restaurant. And in 2004, the restaurant, bar, and façade underwent a massive remodeling. Calo remains a neighborhood favorite.
Date: 1946 Architect: Levy & Klein Original Owner: A. Eisenstein Historic Use: unknown Historic Occupant: vacant Current Use: restaurant Current Occupants: Calo's Number of Stories: 1 Building Materials: dryvit, tile mansard roof Architectural Style: unknown
9. Alamo Shoes, 5321 N. Clark, Est. 1974 In 1974, Harriet and Sol Price purchased the Friedman’s Department Store building on the corner of Clark and Summerdale and turned it into Alamo Shoes. Twenty years later they acquired their own parking lot across the street from the store. And today, thirty years after opening, Alamo shoes is managed by Harriet and Sol’s son-in-law, Craig Cohen, and is one of the largest family-owned footwear stores in Chicago. Alamo Shoes is proud to provide a level of service rarely seen these days and a wide variety of high-quality, name brand shoes. Harriet and Sol have been active participants in a wide variety of neighborhood events, including Andersonville Midsommarfest.
Date: unknown Architect: unknown Original Owner: unknown Historic Use: stores Historic Occupant: Maurice Friedman Department Store Current Use: retail Current Occupants: Alamo Shoe Store Number of Stories: 2 Building Materials: brick, stucco Architectural Style: Commercial Style
10. Kopi Café, 5317 N. Clark, Est. 1991 Along with the Landmark of Andersonville & Women and Children First Bookstore, Kopi Café was one of the businesses in the late 1980s and early 1990s that heralded and helped foster the renewed vitality of the Andersonville commercial district. As the oldest of Andersonville’s independent cafés, Kopi provides a welcoming environment for the community’s residents and guests to mix and linger. Owners Rhonda Welbel and Al Rose have long demonstrated their commitment to the community outside of their business through their service on numerous boards and committees and dedication to sustainable business practices and products.