«AshaKiran is a non-profit organization founded in 2006 to fill a com- munity need, for the purpose of providing assistance and counseling to people ...»
AshaKiran is a non-profit organization founded in 2006 to fill a com-
munity need, for the purpose of providing assistance and counseling
to people of South Asian origin (for now) in our community that are
experiencing “crisis” situations due to language barriers and cultural
stigmas, South Asians when faced with problems such as abuse,
domestic violence, depression, or lack of a friendly ear.
Dec 2011-Jan 2012
SPECIAL REQUESTAshaVani Message of Hope Your Immediate Attention Needed!!
Contents Dear AshaKiran supporters-
On February 2, 2012, our community will come together for Alabama Gives Day, and we need YOU to join us. It’s 24 hours
of unprecedented nonprofit giving - and it’s your chance to make a real difference, right here in our community.
Please save the date and help sustain AshaKiran’s efforts at Introduction to Meditation (2/9)…………………….2 building a healthy and harmonious community. You can donate The Legislative Process online at http://algives.razoo.com/story/Ashakiran-2 — How a bill becomes a law……………………..10 Free Health Screenig...13 The minimum donation asked is $10.
Health Screening pics..14 Your contributions will help cover costs for a safe/ AshaKiran-Goals..……15 transitional house for survivors of domestic vio- AshaKiran FAQ……….16 lence and abuse and for free health screenings Volutneers.…………....17 for the needy.
Sponsors....…………...18 Please support us on Alabama Gives Day.
Thanking you, AshaKiran Committed to Educate, Empathize, and Empower people of South Asian origin BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE IN THE WORLD - Mahatma Gandhi Endorsed by: Alabama Association of Physicians of Indian Origin (aAPi), Huntsvlle India For Event Association (HIA), Gujarati Samaj of TN Valley, Bengali Association of Huntsville, Hunts- sponsorship and ville Islamic Center, HCCNA, Orissa Association of Southern Chapter advertisements in AshaVani, call 256- 698-4446 or email email@example.com INTRODUCTION TO MEDITATION (Dhyanam) (P
MEDITATION WITH MANTRAMantra in Sanskrit means ‘man’ mind or to think, and ‘tra’ to liberate, thus meaning to liberate from thought. Every classical mantra has been experienced, accepted and passed down to the next generation by our Rishis or sages. Mantra meditation or mantra japa is usually practiced to obtain one or more of the following benefits.
1. Physical – alleviation of bodily ailments, issues related to health
2. Mental -- help with control of psychological problems like depression, removal of obstacles in education, interpersonal relationships, business and professional matters
3. Spiritual – developing spiritual power called mantra siddhi, overcoming negative traits, relief from karmic influences In earlier times and even during these times, a Guru initiates and gives instruction how to perform mantra japa. In addition, there are usually some rules and rituals. The alternative to a Guru initiation is to give a prayer to your favorite deity to help you with the japa, and make a resolution mentally that you will perform the japa so many times a day for this many days, and then proceed to do what you resolved to do. It is also recommended to make a donation to a temple or to your favorite charity when you complete what you resolved to do. For example, the time-tested recommendation is to perform recitation of a mantra 3, 11, 21, 27, 54, or 108 or more times a day for 40 days at the same time every day. It is up to your convenience. A mala usually has 108 beads. Doing one mala is counted as 100 repetitions. Doing one mala every day for 40 days is counted as 4000 repetitions.
The recommendation to do japa of one mala of a mantra for 40 days seems to be the minimum effort to achieve noticeable results for the first 2 objectives mentioned above. In case the karmic burden is heavy, more than one 40-day practice may be required to experience the benefits of mantra meditation. The third objective of obtaining mantra siddhi requires at least 125,000 repetitions and some additional rituals.
The Transcendental Meditation ™ technique is based on mental repetition of a sound or "mantra." The TM movement claims that only specific "sounds" can be used, and that the selection of sounds is based upon a trade secret. The mantra is given in a private "initiation" ceremony, or "puja," in which the initiate brings fresh fruit, flowers and a new handkerchief, to be offered to a picture of Maharishi's deceased "Master" in an incense-filled, candlelit room.
We will now give a few classical mantras for mantra japa, and indicate how people have used them to obtain specific results. There are no special requirements for doing japa of these mantras. Most mantras refer to a particular deity.
OM Gum Ganapathayei Namah This is an invocation to Ganapati, remover of obstacles; good for removing obstacles in careers, health, relationships and in any endeavor. If there is something holding you back, do this mantra daily for 40 days visualizing Lord Ganesha.
OM Shrim Mahalakshmyei Namah This is an invocation to Lakshmi, the Goddess of bounty; this is a good mantra for prosperity of family and financial needs; do this mantra daily for 40 days visualizing Goddess Lakshmi.
OM Dum Durgayei Namah This is an invocation to Durga, a warrior Goddess; this is a good mantra for protection from enemies and harassments in personal and professional life; do this mantra daily for 40 days visualizing Goddess Durga.
OM Saraswatyei Namah This is an invocation to Saraswati, Goddess of artistic and scholastic endeavors; this is a good mantra for students and creative activities of all kinds; do this mantra daily for 40 days visualizing Goddess Saraswati.
OM Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya This is a mantra of Vishnu, sustainer of life in the world. This is a good mantra for removal of many chronic health or relationship troubles while bestowing peace and prosperity; do this mantra daily for 40 days visualizing Lord Vishnu.
OM Namah Sivaaya This is a mantra of Siva, destroyer of sins and evil; this is good mantra for overcoming the negative effects of karma and leads to spiritual enfoldment; do this mantra daily for 40 days visualizing Lord Siva in his aspect of Maha Yogi as an ascetic in deep meditation..
Mahamrutyunjaya Mantra Trayambakam Yajamahe Sugandhim Pushtivardhanam Urvaarukamiva bandhanam Mrityor Mukshiya Maamrutat This is also a mantra of Siva. This is usually recited to ease the pain of karma and help with problems related to health and accidents. Do this mantra daily for 40 days visualizing Lord Siva.
MANTRAS FOR SPIRITUAL ELEVATIONThe following is a small sample of mantras used for overall spiritual progress. The japa of these mantras may be done as much as one wishes or as guided by their Gurus.
We will now discuss mantras known as planetary mantras.
PLANETARY MANTRASThis is a small sample of mantras. In addition to the mantras devoted to a particular deity, mantras for planets are used extensively in japa to ease the ailments attributed to specific planetary positions and transits in a person’s horoscope. We will give a brief description of the type of ailments attributed to each planet and the prescribed mantra japa.
1. When Sun is weak, he tends to gives weak eyesight and right eye problems, headaches, heart trouble, dental problems, overheating, fevers, blood pressure, baldness, neurological problems etc. Some symptoms of malefic sun are relations with father are not good, not getting favors or recognition from superiors, and problems related to bones.
Mula mantra of Sun (Surya) for japa is:
Om Hraam Hreem Hroum Sah Suryaya Namah Recite this mantra 6000 times in 40 days. This is useful in healing the heart, blood and spine.
2. When Moon is weak, besides psychic problems he causes sleep disorders, lethargy, drowsiness, lung problems like T.B., digestive complains, enlargement of spleen, frequent coughs and colds etc. Some symptoms of malefic Moon are inability to concentrate on any subject, difficulty in making decisions, asthmatic problems, afraid of even small issues making one very timid etc.
Mula mantra of Moon (chandra) for japa is:
OM Shraam Shreem Shraum Sah Chandraya Namah Recite this mantra for 11000 times in 40 days. This is useful in healing the digestive system, lymph system, and menstruation problems.
3. When Mars is weak, it makes a person lacking in courage and not getting any help from the younger brothers. It causes inflammations, inability to tolerate hunger, wounds, accidents, piles, liver complaints, skin rashes, tumors, cancer in muscular parts of body when closely conjunct with Rahu. Some symptoms of malefic mars are overall weakness, having lots of fights, frequent misunderstandings, and no favors from superiors.
Mula mantra of Mars (Mangala) for japa is:
OM Kraam Kreem Kroum Sah Bhaumyaya Namah Recite this mantra 7000 times in 40 days. This is useful in healing blood cells issues, adrenal glands, and male sexual problems.
4. When Mercury is weak, it causes psychic diseases, insomnia, nervous breakdown, skin diseases, impotence, loss of memory or speech, deafness, asthma, disorders of intestines, and it creates tensions in life, lack of confidence, and indecisiveness. Some symptoms of malefic Mercury are dental problems, failure in business and profession, and problems of nervous system.
Mula mantra of Mercury (Buddha) for japa is:
OM Braam Breem Braum Sah Buddhaaya Namah Recite this mantra 17000 times in 40 days. This is useful in healing problems of hands, lungs and sensory organs.
5. When Jupiter is weak, it causes lymphatic and circulatory congestion, thrombosis, anemia, tumors, jaundice and other liver complaints, ear problems, and asthma. Some symptoms of malefic Jupiter are loss of hair, get influenced with rumors, leaving studies without any pressing reasons, and problems related to spinal chord.
Mula mantra of Jupiter (Guru) is:
OM Graam Greem Graum Sah Brihaspathaye Namah Recite this mantra 16000 times in 40 days. This is useful in healing the liver, gall bladder and thighs.
6. When Venus is weak, it causes venereal diseases, urinary diseases, diabetes, anemia, stones in bladder or kidney, weakness of sexual organs, paralysis, asthma, and impotence.
Some symptoms of malefic Venus are skin diseases, and getting no favors from females and anything feminine.
Mula mantra of Venus (Shukra) is:
OM Draam Dreem Draum Sah Shukraya Namah Recite this mantra 20000 times in 40 days. This is useful in healing the neck, throat, kidneys, and feminine problems.
7. When Saturn is weak, it causes constant and painful diseases, leg fracture, cancer, skin diseases, paralysis, arthritis, gout, rickets, insanity, numbness, windy diseases, impotence in men, asthma, intestinal obstruction etc. Some symptoms of malefic Saturn are danger from fires, loss in construction work, and accidents from articles made of iron.
Mula mantra of Saturn (Shani) is:
OM Praam Preem Praum Sah Shanaischaaya Namah Recite this mantra 19000 times in 40 days. This is useful in healing problems of skeleton, cartilage, white blood cells and the spleen.
8. When Rahu is weak, it causes diseases of phlegm, intestines, skin, nervous system, ulcers, blood pressure, heart trouble, psychic disturbances, insanity, insect bite, and cancer.
Some symptoms of malefic Rahu are no support from family and too many enemies in life.
Mula mantra of Rahu for japa is:
OM Bhraam Bhreem Bhraum Sah Rahave Namah Recite this mantra 18000 times in 40 days.
9. When Ketu is weak, it causes wounds, injuries, diseases in spine and nervous system, surgery, ulcers, inflammations, intestinal diseases, mental aberration, low blood pressure, bad habits, and skin diseases. Some symptoms of malefic Ketu are urinary problems and illhealth of children.
Mula mantra of Ketu for japa is:
OM Shraam Shreem Shraum Sah Ketuve Namah Recite this mantra 7000 times in 40 days.
These planetary mantras can be used individually to raise the energies of a particular planet or they can be used as a set for general well-being and enlightenment. Frequently the question arises as to doing the japa personally or have a priest or astrologer do the japa for you.
Both are possible. In the author’ opinion, if you can do the japa yourself, it is best to do yourself. The reason is in addition to receiving the desired benefits of japa, the discipline of doing japa quiets the mind and elevates the person spiritually.
We will now discuss the technique known as chakra meditation.
CHAKRA MEDITATIONAnother technique is meditation on each chakra. Charkas can be thought of as multidimensional energy vortexes that reign over various regions of the body and brain. Each chakra is thought of being responsible for the health of the organs, glands and systems of the particular region where it is located, and is also responsible for certain emotional states and mental characteristics. The way of healing and rejuvenation the body and also, of optimizing oneself psychologically and mentally, is by opening, healing and balancing the chakras.
The opening, healing and balancing of chakras is called chakra meditation. There are many different techniques with which to perform chakra meditation. One example is chakra meditation using Seed Sounds. More specifically, this chakra meditation is done by chanting the sound of the particular chakra. The seed sounds for each chakra are as follows.