«CERTIFICATION I, Robert Higgins, Acing General Manager of the Sorell Council, hereby certify that in accordance with Section 65 of the Local ...»
17 SEPTEMBER 2013
Notice is hereby given that the next meeting of the Sorell Council will be
held at the Sorell Council Chambers on Tuesday, 17 September 2013
commencing at 7.00 pm.
I, Robert Higgins, Acing General Manager of the Sorell Council, hereby certify that in accordance with Section 65 of the Local Government Act 1993, the reports in this Agenda have been prepared by persons who have the qualifications and experience necessary to give such advice.
Information and recommendations or such advice was obtained and taken into account in providing general advice contained within the Agenda.
Notices of Motion and supporting documentation from Councillors are exempted from this certification.
ACTING GENERAL MANAGER11 September 2013
FOR THE COUNCIL MEETING TO BE HELD AT THE
SORELL COUNCIL CHAMBERSON TUESDAY 17 SEPTEMBER 2013
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1.0 ATTENDANCE 1
2.0 CONFIRMATION OF THE MINUTES OF 20 AUGUST 2013 1
3.0 MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES 1
4.0 MAYOR’S REPORT 2
5.0 DEPARTMENTAL KEY ACTIVITY REPORTS 2
5.1 GOVERNANCE – BILL COSTIN, GENERAL MANAGER 2
5.2 ENVIRONMENT & DEVELOPMENT – BILL HYNDES, MANAGER 3
5.3 HR & COMMUNITY SERVICES – JESS RADFORD, MANAGER HUMANTH RESOURCES & COMMUNITY SERVICES (COMMENCED 30 AUGUST 2013) 5
5.4 ENGINEERING SERVICES – STEVE HODGE, MANAGER 7
5.5 FINANCE AND INFORMATION – DEAN TAYLOR, MANAGER 8
6.0 COUNCIL WORKSHOPS REPORT 11
7.0 PETITIONS 11
8.0 DECLARATIONS OF PECUNIARY INTEREST 11
9.0 LAND USE PLANNING 12
9.1 DEVELOPMENT ASSESSMENT SPECIAL COMMITTEE MINUTES 12
10.0 ENVIRONMENT & DEVELOPMENT 41
10.1 SOUTHERN WASTE STRATEGY AUTHORITY JUNE 2013 QUARTERLY REPORT 41
11.0 GOVERNANCE 49
11.1 DEREGISTRATION OF THE TASMANIAN WATER AND SEWERAGE
CORPORATION (SOUTHERN REGION) PTY LTD 49
12.0 QUESTIONS FROM THE PUBLIC 55
13.0 CLOSED MEETING 56
14.0 ACRONYMS 57 PAGE 1
1.0 ATTENDANCE ^ Mayor K Vincent Deputy Mayor B McDonald Councillor J Dunbabin Counci
2.0 CONFIRMATION OF THE MINUTES OF 20 AUGUST 2013
RECOMMENDATION“That the Minutes of the Council Meeting held on 20 August 2013 be confirmed.”
3.0 MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTESLand Use Planning
9.1 Item noted (DASC Meetings Minutes) Environment and Development
10.1 Item actioned (Amendment Corporate Plan & Budget Estimates 2013-14; Appendix D – Fees & Charges, Town Planning Subdivision Fees) Human Resources & Community Services.
11.1 Item in progress (Procedural Motion Moved and Carried to ‘Lay on the Table’ (Cultural Plan)
12.1 Item received and noted (Record Keeping for Local Government Councillors
12.2 Item endorsed (Marine & Safety Tas (MAST) – East Coast Marine Infrastructure Strategy
4.0 MAYOR’S REPORT Sorell and Tasman affected area recovery.
STCA Board meeting.
DASC Imlay Streett Playground discussions.
Speed Careering Sorell School.
Met with Phillip Hoystead, Director of Local Government.
Met with staff from Dept Economic Development re Dunalley.
Met with reps from Sorell Mens Shed.
Met with Dick Adams.
Attended Business Council of Sorell. Cr White also attended.
Chaired Sorell Streetscape meeting.
Met with Alice Claridge from the Mercury re positive stories on Sorell.
Opened the Dunalley Flower Show.
Conducted 3 Australian Citizenship Ceremonies.
Met with DPAC staff re Dunalley Recovery Committee.
5.0 DEPARTMENTAL KEY ACTIVITY REPORTS5.1 GOVERNANCE – BILL COSTIN, GENERAL MANAGER
• Attended a Southern Waste round table discussion – re future of waste disposal in Tas.
• Met with Director of Local Government Mr P Hoysted.
• Attended Dunalley Structure Plan & general recovery community forum.
• Attended another CAC walk through inspection.
• Dealt with CAC issues related to storm/rain water impact on car park foundations.
• Discussed next steps for completion of Community Strategic Plan with facilitator C Clarke.
• Attended Red Cross Appeal Distribution Committee meeting.
• Attended a meeting with Dick Adams.
• Continued development of Waste Water Treatment module of Sorell C3.
• Attended farewell activities for Robyn Watts.
• Conducted online meeting Sorell C3 further applications and balance of DLGP agreement requirements. Also conducted internal training on C3.
• Attended quarterly LGAT GM’s workshop.
• Attended routine internal management meetings as scheduled or required.
• Attended Council September workshop.
• Attended GMs farewell activities and departed Council in accordance with agreed contract requirements.
5.2 ENVIRONMENT & DEVELOPMENT – BILL HYNDES, MANAGER Southern Waste Strategy Authority The SWSA quarterly report is included in the agenda.
Coastal Policy Statement Internal staff workshop conducted to consider draft State Coastal Policy statement.
The draft Environmental Health By-law has been on public exhibition, with comments closing last week.
Responded to Ombudsman enquiry relating to building approval issue.
Received advice regarding Council’s limitations acting under the nuisance provisions of the Local Government Act.
Collated departmental information to contribute to 2012/13 Annual Report.
Scheduled Meetings Attended scheduled Council Meetings, monthly workshops, management meetings and department meeting.
NRM Facilitator Activity Meetings
• DAGS – weekly attendance and NRM input where necessary.
• Planners meeting – fortnightly attendance.
• NRM South Local Facilitator teleconference – fortnightly attendance.
• Bushfire Recovery Taskforce – Environmental program (1 August).
• Sorell Council website environment tab discussions with Stacey King (7 August).
• Bushfire recovery action planning in partnership with Dunalley Neighbourhood House reveg program, oyster farmers and Marion Bay Coastcare group (12 August).
• Attend information session re: State Coastal Policy Statement (13 August).
• Brief relevant Council staff re: State Coastal Policy Statement information session & submission (15 August).
• Regional Climate Change Initiative 2013/14 action planning workshop (21 August).
• WeedAid teleconference (22 August).
• Biodiversity offsetting seminars, UTas (23 August).
• Native shelter belt field day trialling innovative techniques, “Wetherton” Bothwell (16 August).
• Dodges Ferry re foreshore weed ID and control (2 August).
• Woodvine Nature Reserve, Forcett visit to meet Friends of Woodvine re WeedAid for Spanish Heath (5 August).
• Carlton Beach carpark visit with Leon Ashlin re stormwater issues impacting on shared walkway (6 August).
• Midway Point re boxthorn control advice (8 August).
• Grasstree Hill Road, Richmond re NRM South on-farm action grant application (9 August).
• Controlled grazing trials & landholder discussions in Richmond area with NRM South - University farm, Frogmore Creek, Richmond Park (29 August).
• “Storm Bay”, Connellys Marsh re WeedAid working bee risk assessment (30 August).
• Boomer Bay foreshore and oyster farmer land boneseeding (1 ha) re: WeedAid and bushfire recovery & revegetation project (20 August).
• Pitt Water-Orielton Lagoon information finalised and uploaded to Council website (under Our Municipality Pitt Water Orielton Lagoon Ramsar site).
5.3 HR & COMMUNITY SERVICES – JESS RADFORD, MANAGER HUMAN
RESOURCES & COMMUNITY SERVICES (COMMENCED 30THAUGUST 2013) Annual Leave 4 – 11 September 2013.
• Playground Products Awareness and Safety Workshop
• Evacuation Training
• IPWEA Asset Management Workshop
• Implement Traffic Management Plan and control traffic with a stop slow Bat – all depot roads crew.
• CSBA Annual Customer Service Seminar
• Communicating in recovery Workshop
• Recovery Basics
Health & Wellbeing • Entered Worksafe Tasmania Awards
Manager met with/attended:
• Members of Dunalley Youth Advisory Group
• Nel Degrassi re Dunalley Youth Advisory Group
• Community Services Team meeting
• Children’s Services Team Meeting
• Council Workshop
• Council Meeting
• Pembroke Park Advisory Committee
• Dodges Ferry Rec Centre Committee
• Tennis Tasmania
Current Community Engagement Activity
• Arts & Culture Working Group
• Imlay Street Park re-development
• Seniors Advisory Group Youth Services
• Continuing planning for Youth Centre Development
• Youth Advisory Group Communications
• Staff Updates x 2
• Sorell Times contribution, plus two articles
• Article on Marion Bay bridge in September edition of LGAT News Magazine.
• Facebook – currently have 337 Likes
• Media Statement re Men’s Shed issued Events Seniors Week (1 – 7 October)
• Wednesday 2 October - Older Driver Seminar: Sorell Memorial Hall from 10.00am - 11.30am.
• Thursday 3 October - Motorised Scooter and Simple Aides for Daily Living Expo: Sorell Memorial Hall from 10.00am – 1.00pm.
• Friday 4 October - Soup and Sandwich Luncheon: Sorell Memorial Hall from 12.00 noon - 2.00pm.
• Monday 7 October - Bus trip to Oatlands CHILDREN’S SERVICES Malunna
• Currently 61 families enrolled, totalling 70 children.
5.4 ENGINEERING SERVICES – STEVE HODGE, MANAGER The continued frantic pace of construction and maintenance activities is evident in the Works Manager’s report. With hopefully clearer weather leading up to Christmas the works crew’s efforts will result in a reduction in road maintenance requirements and recorded defects.
Development applications have again risen in number but I believe that we are likely to see a reduction over the coming months. Leon Ashlin joined the engineering team last month and I am sure he will become a valuable asset. With Leon’s arrival Brenton moved sideways into the Asset Management Engineer’s position replacing Wayne Darby. Brenton has been undertaking essential training to better equip him for this new responsibility. He has also been directly responsible for co-ordination of our move into the new CAC later this month.
WORKS MANAGER – SAM FENNEYRoad Construction Crew
• Construct to a sealed standard Bay Road Boomer Bay
• Continue upgrade of Fulham Road from Fulham House west for
• Construct to sealed standard Bay Street Dunalley
• Construct to sealed standard Clark Street Dunalley Road Maintenance Crew
• Commence renewal works of pavement and installation of Kerb and Gutter and footpath on Walker St, Sorell.
• Commence renewal works of pavement and installation of Kerb and Gutter on Somerville Streets, Sorell.
• Commence renewal works of pavement and installation of Kerb and Gutter and footpath at Carlton Beach Road, Dodges Ferry from Pengana to Mongana Street.
SORELL COUNCIL MEETINGTUESDAY 17 SEPTEMBER 2013 PAGE 8 Stormwater Crew
• Continued Bridge Maintenance at various locations.
• Continued pump out of pits and culverts various locations.
• Installation and upgrade of guard rail at various locations.
• Commence installation of piped stormwater system for Wibar Street and Carlton beach Road Dodges Ferry.
Parks and Reserves Crew
• Upgrade of Cricket pitch Pembroke Park.
• Commence installation of irrigation at Kessarious Park, Midway Point.
• Commence installation of dripper irrigation RV site Pembroke Park, Sorell.
• Maintenance – Parks staff will continue to undertake general maintenance of the various parks, playgrounds and reserves across the municipality.
DEVELOPMENT ENGINEERING MANAGER – LEON ASHLIN
The Development applications for August increased for the second straight month with a total of 36 applications received (30 in July, 28 in June). This included 13 new dwellings, 11 outbuildings, 7 modifications, 4 subdivisions and 1 miscellaneous development which was an amenities building at the Bream Creek Showgrounds.