«Built in 1904 in the Richardsonian Romanesque style on land donated by Henry Vogt who lived nearby at 534 Maryland Avenue, Station #4 is ...»
246 Jefferson Street - “Vogt Reel House”
Built in 1904 in the Richardsonian Romanesque style on land donated by Henry Vogt
who lived nearby at 534 Maryland Avenue, Station #4 is Lexington’s oldest operating firehouse.
It was erected to provide supplementary service and facilities for what was then the far west end
of town. It is a 2-1/2 story brick structure with stone foundations and stone or metal trim. The
structure has a stylized two story Palladian feature with flush stone trim; small attic windows under crow-step gable; this central unit projects over the entrance, defined by brick tourelles with small domed ‘pepperpot’ tops, supported visually by metal consoles. There is a hose drying tower toward the center of the North side, a large wide door in the back wall allowed the equipment to enter one way and exit opposite without turning around in the relatively narrow internal space. The upper story serves the firemen as quarters for sleeping, eating, and waiting.
There is a narrow, red, iron spiral staircase that was originally in the second Fayette County courthouse, which was destroyed by fire. The station also has a fire pole for quick access downstairs. The center bay entry was widened in 2005 in order to allow the then smallest sized fire truck to still fit inside the station.
400 Block of West Second Street:
The 400 block of West Second street is one of the historically and architecturally most significant in Lexington, occupied for almost two centuries by social, economic, civic and cultural leaders of the city, including Vice President John C. Breckenridge, and members of the Hunt, Shelby, Scott, and Kinkead families. Aside from the few compatible dwellings built between the world wars, the block consists of residences dating from the first quarter of the 19th century to WWI, with interesting and intact examples of almost every major residential style during that period. Dwellings range from modest Federal style cottages through antebellum and post-civil war townhouses through Italianate, high Victorian Gothic, Richardsonian and Queen Anne, Neo-classical or Colonial Revival, and Arts and Crafts style.
485 West 2nd Street – Home (1st & 2nd floors) and garden John & Diane Irvin This two story brick bungalow with stuccoed upper story was built for Augustus Moran in 1927. The hipped roof dormer faces forward on a long slope of roof which includes a one story full porch with brick piers. The side gables are rough cast stucco and half timbered. This home is attributed to architect Arthur Giannini and is a rather typical late 1920s bungalow.
441 West 2nd Street – (4th floor penthouse and 3rd floor condo on tour) Michael Satterly Built in 1905 for the Campbell-Hagerman College and known as Duff Hall this colonial revival style tall, narrow brick building with added colossal Ionic portico contained classrooms and music rooms for theyoung woman’s college and was built at a construction cost of $25K.
The College closed in 1912 and the building was converted into rather large and fashionable apartments. The current owner purchased the building in 2008 and has converted it from 27 apartments into 11 upscale condos.
244 North Broadway – Garden
Known as the Major Alexander Gibson Morgan III house, it was part of the Morgan Compound built in 1905. The garden is a quiet oasis in the middle of busy downtown. A porch overlooks the garden with sounds of waterfall and plantings for a relaxing retreat and getaway.
Gratz Park Historic District is bound on the south by the middle of Second Street, on the west by Bark Alley, on the north by the middle of Third Street, and on the east by the Byway (an alley between Market and N. Upper Streets). There are 18 buildings in the area. When the town plat of Lexington was prepared in 1781 at the order of the Virginia assembly, the area now known as Gratz Park was one of many ‘out-lots.’ This tract, designated as lot no. 6, was purchased in 1793 by the Transylvania Seminary and a two story brick building was erected at the upper end of the three acre lot. Today Gratz Park remains as a city park, with only one of the old Transylvania buildings yet standing, the quaint one-story pavilion known as the ‘kitchen’. At the lower end of the square is the Lexington Public Library now the Carnegie Center for Literacy and Learning, erected in 1904 with Carnegie funds, and at the upper end is a ‘fountain of youth,’ provided for in the will of James Lane Allen. The residences surrounding the park are some of Lexington’s best examples of early architecture.
220 Market Street – Home (1st & 2nd floors) and garden
This Gratz Park home was built in 1816 for Peter Paul II, a stonecutter from England.
The window frames, in which wooden pegs were used in place of nails and shutters, are original.
The Greek revival recessed doorway was added in the mid-1800s. Carolyn Reading Hammer and her husband Victor Hammer, who was a renowned Austrian artist, owned the home from 1950-1984. New owners in 1985 were responsible for extensive renovation as well as an addition to the back of the house designed by architectural historian Clay Lancaster. The giant ginkgo tree is said to have been planted by Henry Clay.
400 Block of West Third Street:
This is one of the most impressive residential blocks in Kentucky, along with the parallel block of 2nd Street. This block did not develop until after the civil war, when it was still considered ‘suburban’. The depth of the block between 2nd and 3rd is 700 feet, another feature rarely found so near downtown, providing a close link between urban living within the city and the openness of more rural environments. The block is steeped in the history of the area, for it was in these deep interior lots that some of the great hemp walks of the Fayette area were situated along with their magnificent homes on 3rd. The whole block has been subject to infill throughout the 19th and 20th century. Third Street also provides the entrance to Hampton Court which is an enclave developed in the early 20th century.
424 West 3rd Street - Pool house (1st & 2nd floors) and garden Jennifer Braddock & Robert Sanders This Italianate residence was built in 1882 for Mr. & Mrs. James A. Headley. It was designed by Cincinnatus Shryrock and has been a single family residence, duplex, and was converted back to single family in the 1970s. The colonial revival front porch and sunroom were additions made c1930. The current owners have made numerous updates in keeping with the historic fabric of the home including a newer garage/poolhouse designed by the late Helm Roberts and extensive gardens designed by P. Allen Smith.
462 West 3rd Street - Home (1st & 2nd floors)
Jay & Kaoru Farmer
This Italianate/Romanesque home was built in the 1860’s for Judge Matthew Walton. It was extensively renovated in the early 1900s and received its Romanesque features including the first story rusticated stone bow window and the casement plus lunette (the stained glass window showing Japanese influence) window above it which has heavy rusticated stone voussoirs forming its round head. It was later acquired by Lexington artist Henry Faulkner who resided there until his death in 1981. During his occupancy, the home was turned into three apartments and currently has been extensively renovated back to a single family home.
507 North Broadway – Home (3 floors) and garden
Built in 1881 for Joseph and Alice Headley by the Fayette Park Construction Company in a combination style of Colonial Revival, Greek Revival, and Jacobean. This magnificent home was built on a stacked limestone foundation and has a slate roof. The exterior walls are brick with limestone window sills; the interior is framed with yellow poplar. Inside the home the floors are laid with white oak, the walls are plastered with cherry millwork; the light fixtures were originally supplied by both gas and electric. The original kitchen was not a part of the main structure as was common in Victorian homes. There was an external elevator on one side of the kitchen structure and a sleeping porch on top. In the alley there was a three bay carriage house with a chicken coop attached and the rear yard contained a cutting garden. This house has had major renovations since the 1980’s. The current owner in 2000 completely renovated this home adding 4 new bathrooms, 2 new bedrooms, a master suite, sunroom, gathering room, and currently operates the home as a bed and breakfast.
Fayette Park was laid out in 1888-89 on the former estate of the Sutton Family, prominent hemp manufacturers in the early and mid 19th century. It is an enclosed residential enclave of 16 dwellings facing a landscaped central mall on three sides.
444 Fayette Park – Home (1st floor) and garden
This Arts & Crafts Colonial Revival home was built c.1912 for William Worthington.
This is the last house built in the Park. It is a classic example of the Four Square Plan so popular in American residential architecture from 1900-1920. Brackets under the eaves mimic the exposed roof joists that were one of the hallmarks of the Arts & Crafts movement, while iconic columns on the front porch are reminders of the classical era. This was a former home to NNA founding board member George Lamason. The current owners have rebuilt the front porch in keeping with its original style and updated the interior with fine appointments.
The owners request that you please remove your shoes upon entering their home.
400 Block of West Sixth Street:
Although at the north west edge of the city and even slightly behind the 19th century circular limits, 6th Street was laid out earlier in the 19th century than some of the numbered streets directly to the south, probably because it served as the entrance road to Coolavin, a federal-style mansion at the west end of 6th, as well as several other early to mid 19th century farmhouses on either side. The urban and architectural character of this block of 6th is quite mixed. It was developed from a few large farm-estates at the end of the 19th century.
411 West 6th Street – Home (1st floor)
This c.1885 home is a vernacular frame cottage and is the twin of the more embellished home next door at 413 W. 6th. The house is currently undergoing a major renovation that has modified the original floor plan and changed the intended use of several of the rooms. Stop by to see an in process example of an attempt to adapt an old house to new uses.
461 West 6th Street – Home (1st floor & attic)
Anne & Matthew Brooks
This home was built circa 1909 for J. T. Jackson at the north west end of 6th Street on land that was platted into lots in 1893. It is a classic American four square plan with a large and spacious porch extending across the front of the home. It has a large overhang and window sashes typical of the arts and crafts movement. The owners have renovated the kitchen and attic space for your viewing.
Elsmere Park Historic District includes 29 residential structures and the shared public and private grounds. The area is a T-shaped cul-de-sac. Platted in 1890 by the Elsmere Park Company and developed between 1891 and 1913, the Park was one of Lexington’s first suburbs and is indicative of the changing architectural trends of the period.
644 Elsmere Park – Home (1st & 2nd floors)
This home was built in 1911 by Lumberyard owner George Curran for his friend, G.G.
Bryan. This Dutch Colonial Revival home is similar to 640 Elsmere Park’s massing. This house features a barn-shaped gambrel roof and is constructed of brick and shingle. Unlike 640, however, this house is designed with an asymmetrically placed front door. A rear addition was added in 1983-84, following extensive renovation to the house. The kitchen was updated in 2012 as well as the HVAC, electrical, and plumbing systems. Despite the modernizing, the house remains very similar to its original design. The rear addition replaced a three story latticeenclosed porch.
667 Elsmere Park – Home (1st floor) and garden
This home was built in 1892 by John Buckner for William B. Talbert. This house has basically the same Romanesque architecture as 657 and 663 Elsmere Park. Notice the arches and semi-circular windows. The house was extensively renovated to provide a great room for entertaining and relaxation, and includes an office for working at home. Recent changes include painting of the interior with updated window dressing and fireplace hearths. At the rear, the lovely garden provides a pleasant oasis for an afternoon glass of lemonade. A porch was added in 2003 at the rear of the house to complement the garden.
Headley Avenue runs for two blocks north of 6th Street, west of Broadway. The entrance to Headley from 6th is flanked by a large Italianate house set back some distance from 6th on the NW corner and the picturesque Richardsonian mansion at the NE corner. Otherwise the entire 600 block of Headley was almost entirely developed in the 1890s, with a few additions in the early 1900s, having apparently been cut through in 1890. This street has remained a quite enclave.
642 Headley Avenue – Home (1st floor)
Bill & Sally Johnston