«cool-touch electric deep fryer • Cover eliminates spatters and reduces odors. • Basket handle doubles as an exterior control to lower food into ...»
cool-touch electric deep fryer
• Cover eliminates spatters and reduces odors.
• Basket handle doubles as an exterior control to
lower food into the oil with the cover closed.
• Removable pot with nonstick cooking surface for
Visit us on the web at www.gopresto.com
2003 National Presto Industries, Inc.
This is a Listed appliance. The following important safeguards are recommended by most portable appliance manufacturers.
IMPORTANT SAFEGUARDSTo reduce the risk of personal injury or property damage, when using electrical appliances, basic safety precautions should always be
followed, including the following:
1. Read all instructions.
2. Do not touch hot surfaces. Use handles.
3. To protect against electrical shock or burns, do not immerse unit, cord, or plug in water or other liquid.
4. Close supervision is necessary when any appliance is used by or near children.
5. Do not let children handle or put electrical cords or plugs in their mouths.
6. Always attach magnetic plug end to appliance first, then plug cord into the wall outlet. To disconnect, remove plug from wall outlet, then from appliance.
7. Unplug cord from outlet and deep fryer when not in use and before cleaning. Allow to cool before putting on or taking off parts and before cleaning the appliance.
8. Do not operate any appliance with a damaged cord or plug or in the event the appliance malfunctions or has been damaged in any manner. Return the appliance to the Presto Factory Service Department for examination, repair, or electrical or mechanical adjustment.
9. The use of accessory attachments not recommended by the appliance manufacturer may cause injuries.
10. Do not use outdoors.
11. Do not let cord hang over edge of table or counter or touch hot surfaces.
12. Do not place on or near a hot gas or electric burner or in a heated oven.
13. It is recommended that this fryer not be moved when it contains hot oil or other hot liquid. If it must be moved when it contains hot oil or other hot liquid, use extreme caution.
14. Do not use appliance for other than intended use.
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
THIS PRODUCT IS FOR HOUSEHOLD USE ONLY.1 Important Cord and Plug Information A short power supply cord is provided to reduce the risk resulting from becoming entangled in or tripping over a longer cord. DO NOT
USE WITH AN EXTENSION CORD.Do not allow the cord to run underneath or around the unit. The magnetic cord may not detach easily if the cord is positioned in this fashion.
Before First Use:
Become familiar with the various parts of the deep fryer (Fig. A) and read the instructions carefully. Before the first use, clean the unit as described below.
Wipe the fryer cover and cool-touch fryer base with a damp cloth. Never immerse the fryer base in water or other liquid. Never wash the cover parts or fryer base in a dishwasher.
Open the deep fryer cover by depressing the cover release button on the front of the fryer. Tilt the cover back to an upright position.
Remove the frying basket from the deep fryer by lifting up on the bottom of the basket handle (Fig. B) until the handle locks in the horizontal position. Lift the basket out of the removable pot (Fig. C). Then lift the removable pot out of the fryer base (Fig. D). Remove the mesh charcoal filter and any packaging material from the basket and wash both the basket and removable pot in hot, soapy water;
rinse and dry thoroughly.
Place the removable pot back in the fryer base making sure the carrying handles are on the left and right sides of the fryer and the rim opening is in the front of the unit (Fig. D). Close the fryer cover. Remove the filter cover from the fryer cover by pushing the release latch away from the window (Fig. A) and lifting it off. Unwrap the mesh charcoal filter and insert it in the filter compartment. Replace the filter cover and snap into place by pushing the release latch down and towards the window. Your deep fryer is now ready to use.
2 Important Fryer Guidelines ♦ Use deep fryer only on a clean, dry, level, stable, and heat-resistant surface, away from any edges.
♦ Close supervision is necessary when any appliance is used by or near children. Hot oil can cause serious and painful burns.
♦ To avoid the risk of electrocution or severe disfiguring electrical burns, do not let children handle or put electrical cords or plugs in their mouths.
♦ To avoid the risk of electrocution or electrical burns, do not let the cord or plug come in contact with water or other liquid.
♦ Never use the deep fryer without the removable pot.
♦ Never use the deep fryer without oil or with insufficient oil. Also, never exceed the maximum fill level. Fig. E The minimum (MIN) and maximum (MAX) fill levels are embossed inside the removable pot (Fig. E).
♦ Use only a good, reliable standard brand of vegetable shortening or cooking oil for deep frying.
Deep frying foods in butter, margarine, olive oil, or animal fat is not recommended because of lower MAX smoking temperatures. MIN ♦ Before deep frying, remove excess moisture from food by blotting with paper towels—moist foods cause excess foaming and spattering. Do not add wet food to cooking oil. Even small amounts of water may cause the oil to spatter.
♦ Always make sure the cover and all other parts of the deep fryer are thoroughly dry before frying.
♦ Use caution when deep frying flour tortillas. Flour tortillas contain air bubbles. During deep frying, oil can become trapped within these bubbles. If not properly drained, the bubbles can burst and cause burns. Therefore, after deep frying tortillas, carefully raise them out of the cooking oil and allow oil to drain from the tortillas for approximately 30 seconds.
♦ Always unplug cord from wall outlet and then from deep fryer when unit is not in use.
♦ Always allow fryer to cool completely with cover closed before removing oil and cleaning.
How To Use To Fill
1. Open the deep fryer cover.
2. Remove the frying basket from the removable pot and set the basket aside.
3. Fill the removable pot with cooking oil or shortening up to the maximum oil level line (MAX) which is located on the inside of the removable pot (Fig. E). Use eight, 8-ounce cups of cooking oil or four pounds of shortening. The amount of oil in the removable pot must always be between the MIN and MAX level markings inside the removable pot. Never exceed the MAX level mark.
1. Close the fryer cover.
2. Attach the cord to the unit by aligning the magnetic plug end of the cord assembly with the two electrical pins located in the recessed area of the fryer base (Fig. F). When properly aligned, the plug will magnetically attach itself to the appliance. For proper connection, the magnetic plug end must be parallel with the countertop (Fig. G).
IMPORTANT: The magnetic cord was designed to detach easily from the fryer. As a result, if it is bumped or touched during use, it could possibly detach, causing the unit to stop heating. Avoid contact with cord during operation. If contact occurs, verify that the cord is still properly connected.
3. Plug cord into a 120 volt wall outlet. Slide the temperature control to the desired temperature (see page 6 for proper cooking temperatures). The recommended setting for most frying is 375°F.
4. When the selected temperature is reached, the indicator light will go out. Preheat time is approximately 20 minutes.
5. While oil is preheating, prepare food for cooking.
WARNING: To prevent risk of severe personal injury or property damage, use caution when cooking with hot oil.
To Fry 1. While frying basket is sitting on countertop, fill basket up to ⅔ full with food.
Once the indicator light has gone out, depress the cover release button to open the cover. CAUTION: The unit has a special cooltouch exterior; however, the interior of the fryer is extremely hot and should not be touched. Slowly tilt the cover back to an upright position, being careful not to touch hot surfaces. Then place the filled frying basket in the removable pot so the basket handle is in the rim opening at the front of the unit.
3. With your hand on the top of the cool-touch cover press down to close it.
4. Slide the handle lock button on the basket handle toward you and lower the handle. The basket will automatically be lowered into the oil.
5. Begin timing. Refer to page 6 for recommended times. During the first few minutes it is normal for steam to appear on the viewing window. This will slowly disappear during cooking if the window is kept clean between uses.
CAUTION: It is normal for steam to escape from the cover vents during frying. To prevent steam burns, keep hands and face away from the vents.
6. When frying time has elapsed, lift up on the bottom of the basket handle until the handle locks in the horizontal position; this action will automatically raise the basket to the drain position.
7. Depress the cover release button to open the cover. Allow the steam to vent and then slowly Fig. H tilt the cover back to an upright position being careful not to touch hot surfaces. Check that the food is golden brown. If more cooking time is needed, close the cover and lower the Gasket basket into the oil using the procedure in step 4.
8. Once the food is done, carefully lift the basket out of the fryer. Then empty the food on paper Metal Plate towels. Season to taste.
The handle lock button on the basket handle is for lowering the frying basket into the hot oil. CAUTION: Do not slide this button when removing the basket from the fryer.
9. If frying additional food, close fryer cover and wait for indicator light to go out. Then repeat steps 1 through 8.
Care and Cleaning Fig. I
1. Unplug cord from wall outlet and then from deep fryer. Allow oil and fryer to cool completely Filter cover with the cover closed.
2. After unit has cooled completely, use the two handles on the removable pot to lift the pot Release latch out of the deep fryer.
3. If you plan to reuse the cooking oil, it is recommended that you strain the oil to remove any food particles. Then store the oil in a tightly sealed container and keep where it will not be Filter exposed to heat or direct light.
4. Wash the removable pot and frying basket with warm water and a mild detergent. Rinse and dry thoroughly. Do not use steel wool scouring pads or abrasive kitchen cleaners on the removable pot or the cool-touch base. The frying basket and removable pot may be washed in the dishwasher, if desired.
5. Never immerse the cool-touch base in water or other liquid, or wash in a dishwasher. Wipe with a damp cloth to clean.
6. After each use, wipe the inside of the fryer cover with a damp cloth. The gasket may be removed for cleaning. Simply pull it off the metal plate and wash in hot, soapy water.
For a more thorough cleaning, remove the cover from the fryer base. With the cover in the open position, simply lift it up (Fig. H). Press the release latch on the filter cover (Fig. I) and remove the filter. Wash the cover in hot, soapy water; rinse and dry. Do not wash the 4 cover parts in the dishwasher. Position the cover on edge to allow water to drain out. Once the cover is thoroughly dry, reattach it to the fryer base.
Always remove the filter before immersing the cover in water.
7. Always be sure to thoroughly clean and dry the gasket in the fryer cover to prevent it from sticking to the fryer base. When reinstalling the gasket, start by examining the gasket. Note that one side has a rounded enclosed edge and the other side is flat and open.
Next, lay the cover on the counter so the metal plate is facing up. Then, position the gasket around the metal plate so the flat side of the gasket is up and the rounded portion is around the edge of the metal plate.
NOTE: If you notice excessive dripping from the cover area during use, check to see that the gasket is installed correctly.
Replace the gasket when it becomes hard, unusually soft, deformed, cracked, worn, or pitted. Contact the Consumer Service Department (see page 8).
8. Store the cord in a clean, dry location away from metal objects. Always check the magnetic plug before use to assure metal items have not become attached.
Replacing the Filter:
The mesh charcoal filter, which is located in the fryer cover, will help absorb unpleasant frying odors. After about 10 to 15 uses it will be necessary to replace the filter.
To replace the filter, push the release latch on the filter cover away from the window (Fig. I). Remove the old filter and discard, and replace with a new filter. Attach the filter cover and snap into place by pushing the release latch down and towards the window.
Replacement filters may be purchased through the Presto Consumer Service Department. Call 1-800-877-0441 (see page 8) or order on the web at www.gopresto.com.
To help absorb odors, always use the deep fryer with the charcoal filter in the cover.
Helpful Hints ♦ If unit fails to preheat or if the cooking process stops, check cord assembly to assure plug is properly attached to the appliance (see Fig. G on page 3).
♦ When using fryer for the first time, a slight odor or light smoking may occur as manufacturing residue evaporates. This is normal during initial use.
♦ Fry foods of equal size and thickness as they will fry more evenly and at the same speed.
♦ Do not fill the basket more than ⅔ full. If too much food is fried at the same time, the food will not get crisp.
♦ Before deep frying, always remove excess moisture or ice crystals from food by blotting with toweling. Moist foods may cause excess foaming and spattering.