«OBITUARY RECORD OF YALE GRADUATES 1914-1915 PUBLISHED BY THE UNIVERSITY NEW HAVEN Eleventh Seues N o 9 July, J915 BULLETIN OF YALE UNIVERSITY Entered ...»
BULLETIN OF YALK UNIVLRSITY
PUBLISHED BY THE UNIVERSITY
Eleventh Seues N o 9 July, J915
BULLETIN OF YALE UNIVERSITY
Entered as second-class matter, August 30, 1906, at the post-office at New Haven, Conn., under the Act of Congress of July 16, 1894.
The Bulletin, which is issued monthly, includes
1. The University Catalogue
2. The Reports of the President and Treasurer
3. The Pamphlets of the Several Schools.
THE TUTTLE, MOREHOUSE A TAYLOR COMPANY, NEW HAVEN, CONN
GRADUATES OF YALE UNIVERSITYDeceased daring the year ending JULY 1, 1915,
INCLUDING THE RECORD OF A FEW WHO DIED PREVIOUSLY
HITHERTO UNREPORTED[No 5 of the Sixth Printed Series, and No 74 of the whole Record The present Series consists of five numbers ]
GRADUATES OF YALE UNIVERSITY
(ACADEMICAL DEPARTMENT)Stephen Cummins Upson, B.A. 1841 Born November 9, 1823, m Lexington, Ga Died May 31, 1914, m Athens, Ga Stephen Cummins Upson, youngest and last surviving member of the Class, was born at Lexington, Ga, Novem- ber 9, 1823. He was the youngest son of Stephen Upson (B.A. Yale 1804), who became an advocate of high repu- tation in Georgia, grandson of Captain Benjamin Upson, of Waterbury, Conn, and descended m the sixth genera- tion from Stephen Upson, the original planter His mother was Hannah, youngest of the six daughters of Rev. Francis Cummins, D D, who was long a distinguished Presbyterian minister in the South.
He was prepared for college at Flushing Institute, Flush- ing, N. Y., but as he had not completed his fourteenth year he did not enter college at the beginning of Freshman year, but joined his Class the following January.
After graduation he spent the year 1843-44 studying medicine with Dr. Willard Parker (B A. Harvard 1826) in New York, and then read law with Chief Justice Joseph 728 YALE COLLEGE H. Lumpkin of Georgia. Sailing in July, 1847, he spent a year in France attending the University of Paris, but on account of the French Revolution and the death of a mem- ber of his family he then returned home, and practiced law for several years in Lexington. About 1854 he removed to New York City and resided there or in the vicinity until about 1880, when he returned to Lexington. In 1885 n e removed with his family to Athens, Ga., which had since been his home.
He read widely in Latin, German, and French, as well as English, and had an unusual memory. \ His life was spent mostly in the quiet of his own home, and with physical powers unimpaired and mind clear and active he was able to continue his customary occupations to its close. He died of pneumonia at his home in Athens, May 31, 1914. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church.
Mr. Upson married Matilda, daughter of James and Matilda (Leigh) Sanson, and had three sons and three daughters. Mrs. Upson and all their children survive him.
His son, Francis Lewis, received the degree of Bachelor of Engineering from the University of Georgia in 1884, Stephen C, the degree of Bachelor of Arts there in 1890,' and Edward L. was a student in the same university. The daughters are Esther A., Emily, and Serena. A brother, Francis L. (B.A. Union 1832), attended the Yale School of Law, and died in 1894.
Augustus Smith, B.A. 1842 Born January 29, 1816, in Washington, Conn.
Died July 27, 1914, in Washington, D. C.
Augustus Smith, son of Captain Amos Smith and Eunice (Clark) Smith, was born in Washington, Conn., on January 29, 1816.
The first year after graduation he spent in teaching in his native town, but in 1843 he returned to Yale, where he studied in the Theological Department for two years. After another year of teaching, he entered Andover Theological Seminary, from which he was graduated in 1847.
During the winter of 1847-48 he taught in Manchester, Conn, after which he preached for six months in Bethany, 729 1841-1846 that state He returned to Andover, Mass, in the spring of 1849, and spent the summer at the seminary, preaching at the same time m the vicinity. Late in the same year Mr.
Smith commenced preaching in the New Hartford (Conn.) South Congregational Church, where he remained for about a year and a half. After this he lived m Washington, Conn., occasionally preaching, although he was never ordained, teaching music in the winter, and spending his summers in farming.
In the fall of 1868 he removed to Washington, D. C, there entering the employ of the Internal Revenue Bureau of the Treasury Department, where the tables for container capacity which he worked out are still in use. At the time of his retirement about four years ago, when the condition of his health compelled him to give up all activities, he was the oldest employee in the Government Civil Service.
He had been a conductor of oratorio music, and at one time was in charge of the choir and music at the First Presbyterian Church in Washington He was long a member of the First Congregational Church of that city, belonging to the Business Men's Bible Class. He had never married, and for some time had made his home with a nephew Mr. Smith died m Washington, D C, on July 2.J, 1914, from infirmities incident to his advanced years. His body was taken to Washington, Conn, for interment A brother, Ebenezer Clark Smith, graduated from the College m 1836.
George Edwards Hill, B.A. 1846 Born November 3, 1824, m Boston, Mass Died March 5, 1915, m Indianapolis, Ind George Edwards Hill was born in Boston, Mass, on November 3, 1824, the son of Henry Hill, for thirty-two years (1822-54) treasurer of the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions. His mother was Laura, daughter of Rev. David Poiter, D.D (B A. Dartmouth 1784). He was prepared for college at Phillips Academy at Andover, and entered Yale with the Class of 1845, joining the Class with which he was graduated in September, 1843.
73° YALE COLLEGE The two years following his graduation were spent in the study of theology at the Andover Theological Seminary, after which he returned to New Haven to complete his studies at Yale. He was licensed to preach in 1849, and in June, 1851, was ordained first pastor of the Congregational Church at North Manchester, Conn., where he remained for nearly two years. He then traveled in Europe and the Orient, in company with his classmate, Chester N. Righter, and Dr. Samuel I. Prime of the New York Observer For this paper he wrote frequent letters of travel during the year 1854.
Mr. Hill was installed at Sheffield, Mass., on May 6, 1855, and after eight years' service there, accepted a call to the Edwards Church in Saxonville, Mass. He held that charge until March 1, 1870, when he removed to Southport, Conn During his pastorate in that town, a new church edifice was built. In 1877 he entered the service of the American Missionary Association at Marion, Ala., with which he was connected for the next two years His last two pastorates were at Pittsfield, N. H., and Atkinson Depot, near Haverhill, Mass. During the years of his ministry two hundred and eighty-nine persons were received on profession of faith into his churches.
He had written articles for the Congregationalist and other publications, and had published a few sermons and reports.
In the summer of 1914 Mr. Hill had a fall, breaking his right arm and injuring his shoulder and head, but he recovered quickly in spite of his advanced age. His strength had been failing gradually, however, and he died on March 5, 1915, at his home in Indianapolis, Ind., where he had lived since 1892. Burial was m Forest Hills Cemetery, Boston.
He was married on November 19, 1850, to Julia Webster, daughter of Chauncey Allen Goodrich (B A. 1810), for many years a professor at Yale, and Julia Frances (Webster) Goodrich. Mrs. Hill, who was the granddaughter of Noah Webster (B A. 1778) and the sister of Chauncey Goodnch (B.A. 1837) and William Henry Goodrich (B.A.
1843), died on October 14, 1851, and on May 1, 1855, Mr.
Hill was married in Exeter, N H., to Emily, daughter of John T. and Sarah (Folsom) Gordon, who survives him.
1846-3847 There were three children by tins marriage,—Henry Gordon, Laura Porter, and Bessie Goodrich,— all of whom are now living.
Henry Barton Chapin, son of Moses Chapm (B.A.
1811), was born on September 14, 1827, m Rochester, N. Y., where he was prepared for Yale at the Rochester Collegiate Institute His mother was Lucy Terry, daughter of William and Mehitabel (Terry) Barton, and widow of Simeon Terry Kibbe (B A 1815) In college he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa, After graduation he was engaged in teaching until 1851, when he entered the Union Theological Seminary m New York City. He studied at the Princeton Theological Seminary from 1852 to 1854, bemg licensed to preach by the Presbytery of New York m 1853, and ordamed a year later.
The next two years were spent in mission work in New York City, m connection with the University Place Presbyterian Church. He held the pastorate of the Second Presbyterian Church of Steubenville, Ohio, from October, 1856, until November, 1858, and that of the Third Church at Trenton, N. J, for the following seven years During the year 1866 he was associate principal of the Edgehill School at Princeton, N J, and the next year he became proprietor and principal of the Collegiate School in New York City, founded in 1820 by Mr. William Forrest. The name of this school was later changed to the Chapin Collegiate School, and Dr. Chapin continued his work there until his retirement m 1903 Besides his work in the educational field, he had frequently supplied the pulpits of churches m New York and its vicinity In 1868 he received the honorary degree of Doctor of Philosophy at Princeton, and m 1891 the degree of Doctor of Divinity was conferred upon him by the same university.
Since 1871 he had been recording secretary of the United States Evangelical Alliance, and he served as a delegate to the Jubilee Conference of the World's Evangelical Alliance 732 YALE COLLEGE in 1896. For thirty years he acted as chaplain of the Society of the Cincinnati in the State of Rhode Island, of which he was an hereditary member as the lineal representative of his great-grandfather, Colonel William Barton, an officer of the Rhode Island Continental Line in the Revolutionary War, and in 1905 he became chaplain general of the National Society of the Cincinnati. He had also been chaplain of the Presbyterian Home for Aged Women in New York City, and was a member of the Sons of the Revolution. Since the death of William Peet m 1895 he had been Secretary of the Class of 1847 at Yale. He acted as financial agent of Princeton Seminary from January to September, 1867.
Dr. Chapin died, from a complication ^of diseases, at his summer jiome in White Plains, N. Y., on July 7, 1914.
Burial was at Kensico, N. Y. A service in his memory was held in the chapel of the Madison Avenue Presbytenan Church in New York City on October 29.
He was married on February 2.2., 1854, to Harriet Ann, daughter of Charles and Ann (Hannah) Smith of New York City. Mrs. Chapin died on March 15, 1914. Dr.
Chapin is survived by his five sons: Rev. Charles Brookes Chapin, D.D. (B.A. Princeton 1876) ; Dr. Henry Dwight Chapin (B.S. Princeton 1877, M.D. Columbia 1881); William Barton Chapin; Robert Smith Chapin, and Louis Ward Chapin. Professor Charles H. Smith (B.A. 1865) is a nephew of Dr. Chapin.
Edward Shaw, B.A. 1847 Born October 8, 1824, in Attleboro, Mass Died September 26, 1914, in Washington, D C.
Edward Shaw was born in Attleboro, Mass., on October 8, 1824, being one of the three children of Daniel Shaw, 3d, a sea captain, who served as a private in a Massachusetts regiment m the War of 1812, and Salona Perry (Wilmarth) Shaw. After receiving his early education in his native town, he entered Phillips Academy at Andover, whence he came to Yale in 1843. He was a member of Phi Beta Kappa.
After graduation he taught school in Attleboro and also in Haddam, Conn., for about five years, and then went to 1847-1849 733 Washington, D C, where he had since made his home.
During the summer of 1853 he was for a time the sole telegraphic correspondent of the Associated Press. In August of that year he took up his work as an assistant examiner m the Patent Office, a position which he held until the outbreak of the Civil War, when much of the work of the office was temporarily suspended During the war he was detailed to reportorial duty He received an appointment in the War Department as a hospital steward in 1867, and as such performed clerical duty m the surgeon general's office until September, 1870, when he was honorably discharged. From that time until July 15, 1908, when a serious illness caused him to resign, he served as librarian in the office of the surgeon general He was a member of the Association of the Oldest Inhabitants of the District of Columbia and a charter member of the Young Men's Christian Association of Washington, For many years he attended the First Presbyterian Church.
Mr. Shaw died on September 26, 1914, at his home in Washington, from a valvular disease of the heart from which he had suffered for five years. The burial was in Rock Creek Cemetery, Washington. He was unmarried.