«Aspire V5-132P/V5-122P User’s Manual © 2013 All Rights Reserved. Aspire V5-132P/V5-122P User’s Manual This revision: 05/2013 AcerCloud frees you ...»
© 2013 All Rights Reserved.
Aspire V5-132P/V5-122P User’s Manual
This revision: 05/2013
AcerCloud frees you to enjoy your digital life anytime, anywhere!
This computer comes with AcerCloud pre-installed. AcerCloud is a
personal cloud service that allows you to access your files over the
Internet and make sure your most important files are always up to date.
With your personal cloud, all your connected devices (PC, tablet,
phone) can access files on your main Cloud PC. For more information
please visit the AcerCloud website:
Date of purchase:
Place of purchase:
TABLE O F CONTENTSSafety and comfort 5 Returning your system to its factory condition
First things first 17 Recovering from Windows
Basic care and tips for using your Power management 56 computer
Disable Fast startup
Turning your computer on and off............. 17 Taking care of your computer
Taking care of your AC adapter................ 19 Battery pack characteristics
Cleaning and servicing
Charging the battery
Your Acer notebook tour 20 Optimizing battery life
Checking the battery level
Information on USB 3.0......
4 - Table of contents
SAFETY AND COMFORT
SAFETY INSTRUCTIONSRead these instructions carefully. Keep this document for future reference. Follow all warnings and instructions marked on the product.
Turning the product off before cleaning Unplug this product from the wall outlet before cleaning. Do not use liquid cleaners or aerosol cleaners. Use a damp cloth for cleaning.
WARNINGS Accessing the power cord Be sure that the power outlet you plug the power cord into is easily accessible and located as close to the equipment operator as possible. When you need to disconnect power to the equipment, be sure to unplug the power cord from the electrical outlet.
Disconnecting the power source Observe the following guidelines when connecting and disconnecting power to the power
Install the power supply unit before connecting the power cord to the AC power outlet.
Unplug the power cord before removing the power supply unit from the computer.
If the system has multiple sources of power, disconnect power from the system by unplugging all power cords from the power supplies.
Using electrical power
- This product should be operated from the type of power indicated on the marking label. If you are not sure of the type of power available, consult your dealer or local power company.
- Do not allow anything to rest on the power cord. Do not locate this product where people will walk on the cord.
Safety and comfort - 5
- If an extension cord is used with this product, make sure that the total ampere rating of the equipment plugged into the extension cord does not exceed the extension cord ampere rating. Also, make sure that the total rating of all products plugged into the wall outlet does not exceed the fuse rating.
- Do not overload a power outlet, strip or receptacle by plugging in too many devices.
The overall system load must not exceed 80% of the branch circuit rating. If power strips are used, the load should not exceed 80% of the power strip's input rating.
- This product's AC adapter is equipped with a three-wire grounded plug. The plug only fits in a grounded power outlet. Make sure the power outlet is properly grounded before inserting the AC adapter plug. Do not insert the plug into a non-grounded power outlet. Contact your electrician for details.
- Warning! The grounding pin is a safety feature. Using a power outlet that is not properly grounded may result in electric shock and/or injury.
- Note: The grounding pin also provides good protection from unexpected noise produced by other nearby electrical devices that may interfere with the performance of this product.
- The system can be powered using a wide range of voltages; 100 to 120 or 220 to 240 V AC. The power cord included with the system meets the requirements for use in the country/region where the system was purchased. Power cords for use in other countries/regions must meet the requirements for that country/region. For more information on power cord requirements, contact an authorized reseller or service provider.
Protecting your hearing
- Warning! Permanent hearing loss may occur if earphones or headphones are used at high volume for prolonged periods of time.
To protect your hearing, follow these instructions.
- Increase the volume gradually until you can hear clearly and comfortably.
- Do not increase the volume level after your ears have adjusted.
- Do not listen to music at high volumes for extended periods.
6 - Safety and comfort
- Do not increase the volume to block out noisy surroundings.
- Decrease the volume if you can't hear people speaking near you.
Bundled dummy cards
- Note: Information in this section may not apply to your computer.
Your computer shipped with plastic dummies installed in the card slots. Dummies protect unused slots from dust, metal objects or other particles. Save the dummies for use when no cards are in the slots.
- Do not use this product near water.
- Do not place this product on an unstable cart, stand or table. If the product falls, it could be seriously damaged.
- Slots and openings are provided for ventilation to ensure reliable operation of the product and to protect it from overheating. These openings must not be blocked or covered. The openings should never be blocked by placing the product on a bed, sofa, rug or other similar surface. This product should never be placed near or over a radiator or heat register, or in a built-in installation unless proper ventilation is provided.
- Never push objects of any kind into this product through cabinet slots as they may touch dangerous voltage points or short-out parts that could result in a fire or electric shock. Never spill liquid of any kind onto or into the product.
- To avoid damage of internal components and to prevent battery leakage, do not place the product on a vibrating surface.
- Never use it under sporting, exercising, or any vibrating environment which will probably cause unexpected short current or damage rotor devices, HDD, Optical drive, and even exposure risk from lithium battery pack.
- The bottom surface, areas around ventilation openings and AC adapter may get hot.
To avoid injury, ensure they do not come in contact with your skin or body.
Safety and comfort - 7
- Your device and its enhancements may contain small parts. Keep them out of the reach of small children.
Product servicing Do not attempt to service this product yourself, as opening or removing covers may expose you to dangerous voltage points or other risks. Refer all servicing to qualified service personnel.
Unplug this product from the wall outlet and refer servicing to qualified service personnel
- The power cord or plug is damaged, cut or frayed.
- Liquid was spilled into the product.
- The product was exposed to rain or water.
- The product has been dropped or the case has been damaged.
- The product exhibits a distinct change in performance, indicating a need for service.
- The product does not operate normally after following the operating instructions.
- Note: Adjust only those controls that are covered by the operating instructions, since improper adjustment of other controls may result in damage and will often require extensive work by a qualified technician to restore the product to normal condition.
Guidelines for safe battery usage This computer uses a Lithium-ion or Lithium-polymer battery. Do not use it in a humid, wet or corrosive environment. Do not put, store or leave your product in or near a heat source, in a high temperature location, in strong direct sunlight, in a microwave oven or in a pressurized container, and do not expose it to temperatures over 60° C (140° F). Failure to follow these guidelines may cause the battery to leak acid, become hot, explode or ignite and cause injury and/or damage.
Do not pierce, open or disassemble the battery. If the battery leaks and you come into contact with the leaked fluids, rinse thoroughly with water and seek medical attention immediately.
8 - Safety and comfort For safety reasons, and to prolong the lifetime of the battery, charging will not occur at temperatures below 0° C (32° F) or above 40° C (104° F).
The full performance of a new battery is achieved only after two or three complete charge and discharge cycles. The battery can be charged and discharged hundreds of times, but it will eventually wear out. When the operation time becomes noticeably shorter than normal, refer to qualified service personnel. Use only the approved batteries, and recharge your battery only with the approved chargers designated for this device.
Never use any charger or battery that is damaged.
The capacity and lifetime of the battery will be reduced if the battery is left in hot or cold places, such as in a closed car in summer or winter. Always try to keep the battery between 15°C and 25°C (59°F and 77°F). A device with a hot or cold battery may not work temporarily, even when the battery is fully charged. Battery performance is especially limited in temperatures well below freezing.
Do not dispose of batteries in a fire as they may explode. Batteries may also explode if damaged. Dispose of batteries according to local regulations. Please recycle when possible. Do not dispose as household waste.
- Note: Please refer to www.acer.com for battery shipping documents.
- Warning! Batteries may explode if not handled properly. Do not disassemble or dispose of them in fire. Keep them away from children. Follow local regulations when disposing of used batteries.
RADIO FREQUENCY INTERFERENCE
- Warning! For safety reasons, turn off all wireless or radio transmitting devices when using your laptop under the following conditions. These devices may include, but are not limited to: wireless LAN (WLAN), Bluetooth and/or 3G.
Remember to follow any special regulations in force in any area, and always switch off your device when its use is prohibited or when it may cause interference or danger. Use the device only in its normal operating positions. This device meets RF exposure guidelines when used normally, and it and its antenna are positioned at least 1.5 centimeters (5/8 inch) away from your body. It should not contain metal and you should Safety and comfort - 9 position the device the above-stated distance from your body. To successfully transmit data files or messages, this device requires a good quality connection to the network. In some cases, transmission of data files or messages may be delayed until such a connection is available. Ensure that the above separation distance instructions are followed until the transmission is completed. Parts of the device are magnetic. Metallic materials may be attracted to the device, and persons with hearing aids should not hold the device to the ear with the hearing aid. Do not place credit cards or other magnetic storage media near the device, because information stored on them may be erased.
MEDICAL DEVICESOperation of any radio transmitting equipment, including wireless phones, may interfere with the functionality of inadequately protected medical devices. Consult a physician or the manufacturer of the medical device to determine if they are adequately shielded from external RF energy or if you have any questions. Switch off your device in health care facilities when any regulations posted in these areas instruct you to do so. Hospitals or health care facilities may be using equipment that could be sensitive to external RF transmissions.
Pacemakers. Pacemaker manufacturers recommend that a minimum separation of 15.3 centimeters (6 inches) be maintained between wireless devices and a pacemaker to avoid potential interference with the pacemaker. These recommendations are consistent with the independent research by and recommendations of Wireless Technology Research.
Persons with pacemakers should do the following:
- Always keep the device more than 15.3 centimeters (6 inches) from the pacemaker
- Not carry the device near your pacemaker when the device is switched on. If you suspect interference, switch off your device, and move it.
Hearing aids. Some digital wireless devices may interfere with some hearing aids. If interference occurs, consult your service provider.