«EDUCATION 1966 B.Sc (Hon). Karachi University. Division 1 Position 1 (summa cum laude) Subjects: Microbiology, Biochemistry and Botany. (summa cum ...»
Biodata: Professor Rabia Hussain
( email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
1966 B.Sc (Hon). Karachi University. Division 1 Position 1 (summa cum laude)
Subjects: Microbiology, Biochemistry and Botany. (summa cum laude)
1967 M.Sc. Karachi University, Division 1, Position
Subject : Microbiology
1973 PhD, University of Western Ontario Canada,
1968. M.Sc. Thesis: Cross reactions of avian and mammalian gamma globulins, Karachi University, Pakistan 1973. PhD Thesis: Isolation, purification and characterization of an Ascaris suum allergen, University of Western Ontario, Canada.
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS1989 : MRC Path: London, U.K.
Subject: Immunology 1997 : FRC Path: London, U.K.
BRIEF CHRONOLOGY OF EMPLOYMENT1968-69 Assistant Lecturer, Department of Microbiology, University of Karachi, Karachi, Pakistan 1970-72 Teaching Assistant, Department of Bacteriology and Immunology University of Western Ontario, Canada 1973-75 Research Associate, National Research Council (USA) Naval Medical Research Institute, National Naval Medical Center.
1976-79 Instructor, Department of Medicine, John Hopkins University, USA 1979-81 Collaborative Researcher, National Institutes of Health, National Institutes of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. USA 1981-85 Senior Staff Fellow, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, USA.
1985-90 Associate Professor, Department of Microbiology The Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan Jan - March 2005 2 Acting Chairperson, Department of Microbiology The Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan Jan 1990- 2012 Ghulamali Hirji Professor of Microbiology (retd 2012) Department of Pathology & Microbiology The Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan March 1996-August 1996 Visiting Scientist, Case Western Reserve University, Division of Infectious Diseases, Cleveland, Ohio, USA January 1, 1999-Jan 2004 Chairperson Department of Microbiology The Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
November 15, 2003:
Designated HEC Distinguished National Professor Higher Education Commission (HEC) Islamabad, Pakistan January 2003-2006 – Honorary Visiting Professor AQ Khan Institute of Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering (KIBGE) University of Karachi January 24-April 24, 2005 Visiting Professor Sabbatical leave AQ Khan Institute of Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering (KIBGE) University of Karachi August 27-November 2005 Visiting Professor sabbatical leave Division of Hematology and Oncology University of Massachusetts, Worcestor, Ma
1. Merit Scholarship for standing first B.Sc. (Hons). University of Karachi 1966-1967
2. Gold Medal for standing first in M.Sc. University of Karachi, 1968
3. Commonwealth Scholarship, Government of Canada, 1969-73.
4. National Research Council Associateship award Washington, D.C. (1973-1975).
5. Berson-Yallow Award for developing a radio-immuno-assay techniques, Society of Nuclear Medicine, June 1980
6. Rockefeller Biotechnology Fellowship Award (1986-1988 for 28 weeks), Sponsored by The Rockefeller Foundation, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD and The Aga Khan University.
7. IUIS Travel Award (International union of Immunological Societies to attend 8th International Conference of Immunology (August 23-28, 1992).
8. Tamghe-Imtiaz: Civil Award for Research/Education in Medicine, Government of Pakistan (1999)
9. Cited in “Outstanding people of the 20th Century”. Compiled by the International Bibliographic Center, Cambridge, UK.
10. The Third World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) Award in Basic Medical Sciences for the year 2000. (Trieste, Italy).
11. HEC Distinguished National Professor, Higher Education Commission, Islamabad, Pakistan (2003)
12. Sitara-e-Imtiaz: Civil Award for Research/Education in Medicine, Government of Pakistan (20 05)
13. The Aga Khan Award in recognition for Pakistan Civil Award Sitara-e-Imtiaz ( 2005)
14. The Aga Khan Universit y Research Award (2006)
15. Elected Council Member, International Leprosy Association ( December 2007current)
16. The Aga Khan University Service Award for 20 years (2009)
17. CDC press release on manuscript before its publication in EID, May 2010
18. Commentary of Medscape Medical News on manuscript published in EID, May 2010 (http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/721084)
19. Associate Editor, Journal of Immunology (1984-1986);
20. Co-Editor, A University’s Linkage (1996)
21. Editor, Mycobacterial Diseases OMICS Publishing Group (07/11)
22. Editor, Medical Journal of Islamic World Academy of Sciences (IAS) (2011-current)
23. Service Award ( 25 years) January 2012)
24. Lifetime Achievement Award ( Pakistan Society of Patholgoy-Immunology (December 2012) 5
25. Elected Council member and Vice President( South and Cental Asian region, The Academy of Sciences for Developing World (TWAS) (2013-2016)
26. Listed as ‘Top-20 Most Influential Women in Science in the Islamic World’.
In the category of Shapers as number 1. Muslim-Science.Com February 23, 2014
27. Member, International Basic Sciences Programme (IBSP) of UNESCO ( 2015-2018)
28. Member, Governing Body of Marie Adelaide Leprosy Center, Pakistan
1. New York Academy of Science (Member)
2. American Association of Immunology(Member)
3. Academy of Allergy and Immunology(Member)
4. American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene(Member)
5. International Leprosy Association (Council Member)
6. British Society of Immunology(Member)
7. The Academy of Sciences For Developing World (TWAS), Trieste Italy (2001) (Fellow)
8. Third World Academy of Women Scientists, Trieste Italy (2001) (Fellow)
9. Pakistan Association of Medical Sciences (2000) (Fellow)
10. Pakistan Academy of Sciences (2006) (Fellow)
11. Elected Council Member, International Leprosy Association ( December 2007current)
12. Islamic World Academy of Sciences (2008) (Fellow)
13. Pakistan Society of Immunology, Elected Patron (2012-2017)
Approved FCPS Supervisor and Examiner: College of Physician and Surgeons: recognized FCPS Supervisor and Examiner(1989) Approved PhD Supervisor: Higher Eduaction Commission (1999)
SUPERVISION Supervised Dr. David Marsh’s Laboratory during his sabbatical (1976-1977) Supervised Dr. Eric Ottesen’s Laboratory during his sabbatical (1984-1985) Recognized PhD supervisor by the Higher Education Commission Pakistan (2001) SUMMER STUDENTS (NIH, BETHESDA,USA)
PHD STUDENTS (THESIS COMPLETED)
1. Dr Arnawaz Kifayet, (AKU) funded by WHO/TDR (1991-1993) submitted PhD dissertation in December 1997, University of Karachi, Cleared PhD defense October 1998.: Title: Definition of the character and the role of IgG subclasses in immunopathogenesis of Erythema Nodosum Leprosum (ENL) reaction in leprosy.
2. Ms Najeeha Talat (PhD completed 2010)
3. Ms Ambreen Ansari ( completed 2012)
4. Dr. Rumina Hasan, Senior Instructor as (Joint Supervisor with Dr. Hazel Dockrell, London, U.K. (PhD completed 1990): Title: A modle for studying the effect of antibodies on monocyteantigen interactions in leprosy.
5. Dr Sarwat Jamil (Joint Supervisor with Dr. Neil Stoker, London, UK. (funded by Lepra):
Title:Use of the polymerase chain reaction in leprosy diagnosis and management. (Completed 2003)
6. Ms Mehnaz Tanveer (Co- Supervisor, KU registered) (PhD completed 2008)
7. Ms Ashoo Ali (PhD Completed 2008)
8. Ms Najia Ganchi (PhD completed 08/11)
9. Ms Kiran Iqbal (AKU) (completed 2013)
10. Mr Farhan Raza (AKU) (under progress)
Dr Erum Khan. Title: Immuno-diagnosis of extra pulmonary tuberculosis using Mycobacterium tuberculosis culture filtrate antigen. (1999) Dr Aasim Khan. Title : Study of IgG Subclasses in Amoebic Liver Abscess.(2000)
POST DOCTORAL FELLOWS (NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH, BETHESDA MD,USA)
1.Workshop series: Enhancing faculty skills for Problem based Learning (PBL) at AKU.
Workshop 4: Workshop for Problem-Based Learning (PBL) Tutorial Facilitation Skills. AKU, ED Hall # 2. March 12 & 15, 2004.
2.Publications in high impact Journals (organized by AKU-Clincal Epidemiology Unit, CHS in collaboration with the United Health –NHLBI, Feb 2-3, 2010).
3.6th IDEAL workshop. (Beijing, China 23 to -25 August 2010).
ORGANIZED International Workshop on “ An Update on Pathogenesis of Mycobacterial Diseases” conducted by OIC Standing Committee on Scientific Cooperation (COMSTECH) Islamabad April 25-27, 2012 (Focal point).
Current: American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, Acta Tropica Journal of Immunology, International Journal of Leprosy, Infection and Immunity, International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Diseases, Clinical Experimental Immunology, Biomednet Central, Tuberculosis, Journal of Immunological Methods, Immunology, Future Microbiology, (2011) FEMSIM, Afr J Biotech J, Cytokine, Plos One, EICMID, ARCHMED, Plos Neglected Tropical Diseases, JCMR, PlosOne
REVIEWER, INTERNATIONAL RESEARCH GRANTS
Grants review: Ad hoc committee for Immuno-parasitology National Institutes of Health, USA (1984).
Agency for International Development (USAID) Parasitology Grants, Review, Chaired by Dr.
Wayne Hockmeyer, Walter Reed Hospital, Washington, DC, U.S.A. (1988) Invited Ad hoc member: WHO Steering Committee on Immunology of Leprosy and Tuberculosis (Geneva: April 25-28, 1990) Member: WHO Steering Committee on Immunology of Leprosy and Tuberculosis (1992Member, Focal Point (Infectious Diseases) of National Research Program for Universities (NRPU) (2005-2007) Review panel for “Alessandro Liberati Programme” for Young Investigators (2012)
COMMITTTEES AND BOARDSInternational Immunogenetics Panel: Academy of Allergy and Immunology, USA (1976-1979).
Allergen Standardization Committee Academy of Allergy and Immunology, USA (1977-1979).
Member, Council for International Society for Infectious Diseases, Boston, USA (1996-2000).
Global TB research Initiative World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland (1998) TB diagnostic Initiative World Health organization, Geneva, Switzerland. (September 1999) Presentation to the Joint coordinating Board on behalf of TDR, Title: Diagnostic issues of tuberculosis in the developing world (Geneva Switzerland; June26, 2000) Tuberculosis diagnostics: Countdown to New Tools consultation, Geneva, Switzerland, ( June 28-30, 2000).
Steering Committee of International Consortium on Elimination of Leprosy (Elected member, October 2004-2008) Member, TWAS Membership Advisory Committee (2007), Italy Member, TWAS Young Affiliates Advisory Committee, Italy (2009) Concil Member and Regional Vice President TWAS (2013-2016) Board Member, International Basic Sciences Programme (IBSP) of UNESCO (2015-2018)
National Leprosy Control Board, Pakistan (February 1990) Provincial Leprosy Control Board, Sind, Pakistan (1992) Pakistan Medical Research Council: Convener, Steering Committee on Infectious Diseases (1994-1995).
Pakistan Medical Research Council, Pakistan (1995-1996) Board of Governors, Marie Adelaide Leprosy Centre, Karachi (1997- to date) Expert Committee on Biological Drugs, Government of Pakistan (member 2004-2008) Member, Board of Governors of Centre of Excellence in Molecular Biology, University of Lahore (2005-2010).
Member, Evaluation of Multidisciplinary Science Journal, Higher Education Commission (2006) Member, Working Group on Emerging Technologies, Science & Technologies, Higher Education Commission (2007) Member, US-Pakistan Joint S & T Committee, Higher Education Commission (2007) Elected Council Member, International Leprosy Association (March 2008-2010) Member, HEC committee for Civil Awards (2008) Member, Board of Trustees Pakistan Science Foundation (February 2009-2012)
The Aga Khan University