«Mail Address Department of Epidemiology University of Alabama at Birmingham RPHB 230J Birmingham, AL 35294 Office Telephone (205) 975-8077 Fax (205) ...»
September 30, 2013
Office Address Department of Epidemiology
University of Alabama at Birmingham
1665 University Boulevard, Suite 230J
Mail Address Department of Epidemiology
University of Alabama at Birmingham
Birmingham, AL 35294
Office Telephone (205) 975-8077
Fax (205) 934-8665
EDUCATIONDegrees B.S. (Electrical Engineering), May 1991 University of Rochester Rochester, New York Master of Health Sciences (Biostatistics), May 1999 The Johns Hopkins University School of Hygiene and Public Health Baltimore, Maryland Doctor of Philosophy (Epidemiology), September 2000 The Johns Hopkins University School of Hygiene and Public Health Baltimore, Maryland
HONORS AND AWARDS1997 – 2000 NIH Training Grant in Cardiovascular Disease Epidemiology Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health Baltimore, Maryland 1999 Jean Coombs Outstanding Student Research Award Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health Baltimore, Maryland 2005 Sandra Dougherty Junior Investigator - Finalist American Heart Association Washington, D.C.
2007 Mid-Career Professional Development Seminar Travel Grant American Society of Nephrology San Francisco, California Page 3 of 45 2012 Tinsley Harrison Award for Best Original Research Southern Society for Clinical Investigation New Orleans, LA 2012 Elected to the Academy for Behavioral Medicine Research
JOURNAL REVIEWSAmerican Journal of Cardiology American Journal of Epidemiology American Journal of Hypertension American Journal of Kidney Diseases American Journal of Medical Sciences Annals of Epidemiology Annals of Internal Medicine Archives of Internal Medicine Atherosclerosis Canadian Medical Association Journal Circulation Clinical Biochemistry Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology Diabetes Care Environmental Research Epidemiology Hypertension Page 4 of 45 Journal of the American College of Cardiology Journal of the American Medical Association Journal of the American Society of Nephrology Journal of Clinical Hypertension Journal of Human Hypertension Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine Journal of Hypertension Journal of Pediatrics Journal of Urban Health Kidney International Nephrology, Dialysis, and Transplantation Pediatrics Stroke
2007 - American Society of Nephrology – Renal Week 2007 2007 – American Heart Association Council for High Blood Pressure Research 2008 – American Heart Association – Scientific Sessions 2008 2009 – American Heart Association – Scientific Sessions 2009 2009 – American Heart Association – Epidemiology Council 2010 2010 – American Society of Nephrology – Renal Week 2010 2011 – American Society of Nephrology – Renal Week 2011 – Chair of the Outcomes Review Section
ADVISORY PANELSAMGEN - Aranesp® Medical Advisory Board meeting December 2009
- Health Services Research and Development Scientific Merit Review Board.
(August 2005 - present) American Heart Association
- BSEP 1 - Behavioral Science, Epidemiology & Prevention 1 Study Group (April 2006 – April 2007) American Heart Association
- Pharmaceutical Round Table Outcomes Research Center grants (May-June 2008) American Heart Association
- Genomics and Outcomes grants (April 2010, October 2010) Academic Service 2004 - 2007 Epidemiology Representative to the Nominating Committee 2004 -2005 Tulane University Representative to the Association of Schools of Public Health Epidemiology Work Group 2004 - 2007 Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine Doctoral Education Committee 2009 - University of Alabama at Birmingham, Department of Epidemiology, Curriculum Committee 2009 - University of Alabama at Birmingham, Department of Epidemiology, Doctoral Admissions Committee 2010 - University of Alabama at Birmingham, Department of Epidemiology, Mentoring Committee 2010 - University of Alabama at Birmingham, School of Public Health, Faculty Advisory Committee 2011 - University of Alabama at Birmingham, School of Public Health, Doctoral Committee Chair 2013 - University of Alabama at Birmingham, Co-director, Pharmacoepidemiology and Economics Reseach Unit Page 6 of 45
STUDENT ADVISINGDissertation Committee Chair Amanda Hyre – “Assessing the Psychosocial Status of Hemodialysis Patients in the Aftermath of Hurricane Katrina” Claudio Sosa – “Risk Factors for Post-Partum Hemorrhage in a Latin American Population” Dissertation Committee Member Huifeng Yen – “Safety and Effectiveness of Osteoporosis Medication among Medicare Beneficiaries” Shahed Iqbal – “Low Level Lead Exposure in US Children” Kristi Reynolds - “End-stage Renal Disease in China” Ahmet Ergin – “Secular Trends in Cardiovascular Disease in the United States” Suma Vupputuri (ad hoc member) – “Non-concurrent Cohort Study of Renal Insufficiency Among Men”
OTHER SERVICECo-director, Office of Health Research Oversee the day to day operation of a 4,500 square foot research center. Tasks involve management of 3 National Institutes of Health studies and 20 full-time staff members.
APPLIED METHODOLOGYDr. Muntner has extensive experience applying advanced statistical and epidemiological Page 8 of 45 methods in his research studies. This includes the analysis of cross-sectional and longitudinal complex multi-stage sampled studies, the evaluation of complex doseresponse relationships, the application of bootstrap techniques, the performance of meta-analyses, the analysis of data from imaging studies, and the development of power calculations for a variety of designs, including cluster-sampled randomized trials.
As an illustration, Dr. Muntner has analyzed data and published results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, Medical Expenditure Panel Survey, and the International Collaborative Study of Cardiovascular Disease in Asia (InterASIA).
These analyses have resulted in more than two dozen peer-reviewed manuscripts in top-tier journals. Dr. Muntner has also substantial experience as a methodological and statistical consultant for population and clinical studies. Dr. Muntner is proficient with SAS, Stata, and SPSS and has experience using R to prepare graphs.
1. Muntner P, Coresh J, Smith JC, Eckfeldt JH, Klag MJ. “Plasma Lipids and Risk of Developing Renal Dysfunction: 3-Year Follow-up Data from the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study” Kidney International 2000 Jul;58(1):293-301.
2. Muntner P, Sudre P, Perneger TV. “Comparison of the Psychometric Properties of the Asthma Quality of Life Questionnaire (AQLQ) Among 115 Asthmatic Adults Assessed During Acute Hospitalization and as Outpatients.” Quality of Life Research 2000;Sept (9):987-95.
3. Muntner P, Sudre P, Perneger TV. “Predictors of Participation and Attendance at a Clinical Trial of Asthma Self-Management.” Chest 2001 Sep;120(3):778-84
4. Muntner P, He J, Loria C, Hamm L, Whelton PK. “Chronic Renal Insufficiency and Mortality from Cardiovascular Disease in the United States.” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology 2002 Mar; 13(3):745-53.
5. Muntner P, He J, Roccella EJ, Whelton PK. “The impact of using the Sixth Joint National Committee risk stratification guidelines on treatment recommendations in the US population” Hypertension. 2002 Apr;39(4):897Muntner P, Coresh J, Garrett E, Burt VL, Klag MJ. “Trends in Stroke Prevalence Between 1973 and 1991 in the United States Population 25-74 Years of age” Stroke 2002 May;33(5):1209-13.
7. Muntner P, Coresh J, Klag MJ, Whelton PK, Perneger TV “History of Page 9 of 45 myocardial infarction and stroke among incident end-stage renal disease cases and population-based controls: an analysis of shared risk factors..” American Journal of Kidney Diseases. 2002 Aug; 40(2):323-30.
8. He J, Muntner P, Roccella EJ, Streiffer R, Whelton PK. “Factors associated with hypertension control in the general population of the United States” Archives of Internal Medicine 2002 May; 162(9):1051-8
9. Astor BC, Muntner P, Levin A, Eustace JA, Coresh J. “Association of Kidney Function with Anemia: The Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (1988-1994)” Archives Internal Medicine 2002 Jun 24;162(12):1401-8.
10. Perneger TV, Sudre P, Muntner P, Christophe Uldry, Chritiane Courtheuse, Anne-Francoise Naef, Jacquemet S, Rochat T. “Paradoxical Results of a Randomized Trial of Patient Education in Asthma.” American Journal of Medicine 2002 Jul;113(1):7-14.
11. Young JH, Klag MJ, Muntner, P, Whyte JL, Pahor M, Coresh J “Blood Pressure and Decline in Renal Function. Findings from the Systolic Hypertension in the Elderly Program (SHEP)” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2002 Nov;13(11):2776-82
12. Gu D, Reynolds K, Wu X, Chen J, Duan X, Muntner P, Huang G, Reynolds RF, Su S, Whelton PK, He J; InterASIA Collaborative Group. The International Collaborative Study of Cardiovascular Disease in ASIA.
Prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control of hypertension in china.
Hypertension. 2002 Dec;40(6):920-7.
13. Chen J, Muntner P, Hamm LL, Fonseca V, Batuman V, Whelton PK, He J.
Insulin Resistance and Risk of Chronic Kidney Disease in Nondiabetic US Adults. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2003 Feb;14(2):469Vupputuri S, He J, Muntner P, Whelton PK, Bazzano LA, Batuman V “Blood Lead Level Associated with Elevated Blood Pressure in African-Americans” Hypertension. 2003 Mar;41(3):463-8.
15. Muntner P, He J, Vupputuri S, Coresh J, Batuman V. Blood lead and chronic kidney disease in the general United States population: Results from NHANES III. Kidney International. 2003 Mar;63(3):1044-1050.
16. Muntner P, Coresh J, Powe NR, Klag MJ. “Do the increase in diabetes prevalence and improved myocardial infarction and stroke survival explain the Page 10 of 45 increase in end-stage renal disease?” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology 2003 Jun;14(6):1568-77.
17. Bazzano LA, He J, Muntner P, Vupputuri S, Whelton PK. Relationship between cigarette smoking and novel risk factors for Cardiovascular disease in US adults. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2003 Jun 3;138(11):891-7
18. Reynolds K, Gu D, Muntner P, Wu X, Chen J, Huang G, Duan X, Whelton PK, He J. Geographic variations in the prevalence, awareness, treatment and control of hypertension in China. Journal of Hypertension 2003 Jul;21(7):1273-81
19. Feldman HI, Appel LJ, Chertow GM, Cifelli D, Cizman B, Daugirdas J, Fink JC, Franklin-Becker ED, Go AS, Hamm LL, He J, Hostetter T, Hsu CY, Jamerson K, Joffe M, Kusek JW, Landis JR, Lash JP, Miller ER, Mohler ER 3rd, Muntner P, Ojo AO, Rahman M, Townsend RR, Wright JT; Chronic Renal Insufficiency Cohort (CRIC) Study Investigators. The Chronic Renal Insufficiency Cohort (CRIC) Study: Design and Methods. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. Jul;14(7 Suppl 2):S148-53.
20. DeSalvo K, Block J, Muntner P, Merrill B. Predictors of physician variation in office visit interval assignment International Journal for Quality in Health Care 2003 Oct; 15:399-405.
21. Vupputuri S, He J, Muntner P, Bazzano LA, Sherwin R, Lefante J, Whelton PK, Batuman V. Effect of blood pressure on early decline in renal function among hypertensive men. Hypertension 2003 Dec. 42; 1144-1149.
22. Muntner P, Coresh J, Klag MJ, Whelton PK, Perneger TV. An exploratory analysis of the association between exposure to radiologic contrast media and the incidence of treated end-stage renal disease. American Journal of the Medical Sciences Dec 2003. 326: 353-359.
23. Muntner P, Whelton PK, Kusek J, Hamm LL, He J. The prevalence of nontraditional risk factors for coronary heart disease in patients with chronic kidney disease. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2004 Jan 6;140(1):9-17
24. Wood MA, Muntner P, He J, Whelton PK. Primary prevention of Hypertension. Medical Clinics of North America. 2004 Jan;88(1):223-38
25. He J, Streiffer RJ, Muntner P, Krousel-Wood MA, Whelton PK Effect of dietary fiber intake on blood pressure: a randomized, double-blind, placebocontrolled trial. Journal of Hypertension 2004 Jan;22(1):73-80.
Page 11 of 45
26. Muntner P, Gu D, Wu X, Duan X, Whelton PK, He J for the InterASIA Collaborative Group. Factors associated with hypertension awareness, treatment, and control in a representative sample of the Chinese population.
Hypertension. 2004 Mar;43(3):578-85