«EDUCATION Postdoctoral Fellow (Computer Science), McMaster University, Canada, 1977-79 Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering/Computer Science, ...»
Vijay K. Vaishnavi
Postdoctoral Fellow (Computer Science), McMaster University, Canada, 1977-79
Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering/Computer Science, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT),
Kanpur, India, 1976
M.Tech in Electrical Engineering/Computer Science, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT),
Kanpur, India, 1972
B.E. (with Distinction) in Electrical Engineering, Regional Engineering College (NIT:
National Institute of Technology), Srinagar, India, 1969
IEEE Fellow*, 2002. Citation: "For contributions to the theory and practice of software development" Invited Lecturer in the course, “Safety and Reliability in Medical Device Software,” (1995) of the Food and Drug Administration Center for Device and Radiological Health Staff College; designated as “Scientific Lecturer” and awarded Certificate of Appreciation In MARQUIS Who's Who in America, 48th Edition, 1993 Faculty Recognition Award for Research, J. Mack Robinson College of Business, Georgia State University, 1993 In MARQUIS Who's Who in American Education, 1992-93 In MARQUIS Who's Who in South and Southwest, 22nd Edition, 1991-92 Faculty Recognition Award for Research and Publications, College of Business Administration, Georgia State University, 1989 * IEEE Fellows: "Recognizing the achievements of its members is an important part of the IEEE's mission.
Since 1963, the IEEE has acknowledged those individuals who have contributed significantly to the advancement of engineering, science, and technology. The IEEE Board of Directors awards the honor of IEEE Fellow to an IEEE Senior Member who has had an extraordinary record of accomplishments in any of the IEEE fields of interest. The number of successful candidates in any one year must not exceed 0.1 percent of the IEEE voting membership on record as of 31 Dec. of the preceding year. To learn more about the IEEE Fellow Program or to nominate an individual visit http://www.ieee.org/fellows," The Institute, Vol. 26, No. 1, January 2002, p. 5.
National Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada Postdoctoral Fellowship, 1977-1979 Research Scholarship, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, 1969-1970 National Merit Scholarship, Government of India, 1962-1968
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS IEEE Fellow; Member, Member IEEE Computer Society Member, Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) Member, Association for Information Systems (AIS)
CURRENT RESEARCH INTERESTS Design Science Research Methods Software Engineering Data Structures and Algorithms PUBLICATIONS: BOOKS and MONOGRAPHS Books
1. Vaishnavi, V.K., and W. L. Kuechler. Design Science Research Methods and Patterns:
Improving and Innovating Information and Communication Technology 2nd Edition, CRC Press, in press.
2. Vaishnavi, V. and S. Purao (Eds.). Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Design Science Research in Information Systems and Technology, DESRIST 2009, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA, May 7-8, 2009 ACM 2009.
3. Vaishnavi, V.K., and W. L. Kuechler. Design Science Research Methods and Patterns:
Improving and Innovating Information and Communication Technology, Auerbach
4. Vaishnavi, V. and R. Baskerville (Eds.), Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Design Science Research in Information Systems and Technology (DESRIST 2008), 2008.
5. Segev, A. and V. K. Vaishnavi (Eds.), Proceedings of the Seventh Workshop on Information Technologies and Systems (WITS ’97), 1997.
6. Korson, T. D. and V. K. Vaishnavi. Object Technology Centers of Excellence, Manning/Prentice-Hall, 1996.
7. Korson, T. D., V. K. Vaishnavi, and B. Meyer (Eds.). Technology for Object-Oriented Languages and Systems: TOOLS 5, Prentice-Hall, 1991.
Chapters in Books
8. Petter, S., V. K. Vaishnavi, and L. Mathiassen. Tools for Knowledge Sharing in IT Project Management. In M. Khosrow-Pour (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Information Science and Technology, 2nd Edition, Vol. V. London, UK: IGI Global, 2009.
9. Iyengar, S. S., V. Vaishnavi, and S. Gurnasekaran. "Image Data Structures." In Handbook of Data Structures and Applications (D. Mehta and S. Sahni, Eds.), CRC Press, pp. 57.1Iyengar, S. S., A. Tandon, Q. Wu, E. Cho, N. S. V. Rao, and V. Vaishnavi. “Deployment of Sensors: An Overview.” In Distributed Sensor Networks (S. S. Iyengar and R. D. Brooks, Eds.), Chapman & Hall/CRC, pp. 483-504, 2004.
11. Turk, D. E. and V. K. Vaishnavi. "Software Process Models are Software Too: A Domain Class Model for Software Process Models." In Successful Software Reengineering (S.
Valenti, Editor), Idea Group Publishing, Hershey, PA, pp. 284-292, 2002.
12. Fraser, M. D. and V. K. Vaishnavi. “Ensuring Software Safety and Reliability through Strategies for Incorporating Formal Specifications.” In Safety and Reliability for Medical Device Software, FDA/CDRH Staff College Course Notebook, Published by the Health Industries Manufacturing Association (HIMA), Tab 7, pp. 1-49, 1995.
13. Iyengar, S. S., N. S. V. Rao, R. L. Kashyap, and V. K. Vaishnavi. "Multidimensional Data Structures: Review and Outlook." Advances in Computers (Academic Press), (M. Yovits, Ed.), Vol. 27, pp. 69-119, 1988.
14. Kuechler, W. and V. Vaishnavi. "A Framework for Theory Development in Design Science Research: Multiple Perspectives." Journal of the Association for Information Systems (JAIS), Vol. 13, Issue 6, pp. 395-423, June 2012.
15. Li, L., Vaishnavi, V., Vandenberg, A. “A Systematic Approach for VSM-based Web Page Classification,” Academy of Information and Management Sciences Journal, Vol. 15, No. 2, 2012.
16. Zheng, G. and V. K. Vaishnavi. “A Multidimensional Perceptual Map Approach to Project Prioritization and Selection,” AIS Transactions on Human-Computer Interaction (3) 2, pp.
17. Kuechler, B. and V. Vaishnavi. “Promoting Relevance in IS Research: An Informing System for Design Science Research,” Informing Science: the International Journal of an Emerging Transdiscipline, Volume 14, pp. 125-138, 2011
18. Lei, L., V. Vaishnavi, and A. Vandenberg “SOM Clustering to Promote Interoperability of Directory Metadata: A Grid-Enabled Genetic Algorithm Approach. Journal of Universal Computer Science, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 800-820, 2010.
19. Kuechler, B. and V. Vaishnavi. “On Theory Development in Design Science Research:
Anatomy of a Research Project.” European Journal on Information Systems (EJIS), Vol. 17, No. 5, October 2008, pp. 489-504.
20. Kuechler, W. L., Jr. and V. K. Vaishnavi. "An Expert System for Dynamic Re-coordination of Distributed Workflows." Expert Systems with Applications (34:1), January 2008, pp 551Kuechler, W.L., V.K. Vaishnavi. "The Emergence of Design Research in Information Systems in North America." J. of Design Research, Vol. 7, No. 1, 2008, pp. 1-16.
22. Petter, S., and V. K. Vaishnavi. "Facilitating experience reuse among software project managers." Information Sciences: An International Journal (178), April 2008, pp 1783Vaishnavi, V. K., S. Purao, and J. Liegle. “Object-Oriented Product Metrics: A Generic Framework.’ Information Sciences: An International Journal, Vol. 177, 587-606, 2007.
24. Petter, S., Mathiassen, Mathiassen, L., and Vaishnavi, V.K. "Five Questions for Knowledge Sharing in Software Projects." IEEE IT Professional (9:3), May/June 2007, pp 22-26.
25. Wu, Q., Rao, N.S.V., X. Du, S. S. Iyengar, and V.K. Vaishnavi. "On efficient deployment of sensors on planar grid." Computer Communications (30:14-15) 2007, pp 2721-2734.
28. Kuechler, W., V. K. Vaishnavi, and S. Petter. “The Aggregate Design Cycle as a Perspective on the Evolution of Computing Communities of Interest.” Computing Letters, Vol., 1, No. 3, 123-128, 2005.
29. Vaishnavi, V. and W. Kuechler. "Universal: Enterprie Integration: The Challenges of and Approaches to Web-Enabled Virtual Organizations." Information Technology and Management, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 5-16, 2005.
30. Vaishnavi, V. K., A. Vandenberg, G. Zheng, and R. G. Singh. “Semantic Heterogeneity: Problem and Solution Frameworks.” Computing Letters, Vol.1, No. 2, pp. 75-82, 2005.
31. Wu, K., N. S. V. Rao, J. Bahren, S. S. Iyengar, V. K. Vaishnavi, H. Qi, and K. Chakrabarty.
"On Computing Mobile Agent Routes for Data Fusion in Distributed Sensor Networks."
IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Vol. 16, No. 6, pp. 740-753, 2004.
32. Vaishnavi, V. and W. Kuechler. "An Approach to Reducing E-Commerce Coordination Costs in Evolving Markets Using a Semantic Routing Protocol." Journal of Electronic Commerce Research, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 113-127, 2003.
33. Purao, S. and V. K. Vaishnavi. "Product Metrics for Object-Oriented Systems." ACM Computing Surveys, Vol. 35, Issue 2, pp. 191-221, 2003.
34. Bandi, R. K., V. K. Vaishnavi, and D. E. Turk. "Using Object-Oriented Design Complexity Metrics to Predict Maintenance Performance." IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, Vol. 29, No. 1, pp. 77-87, 2003.
35. C. Chua, L. Cao, K. Cousins, K. Mohan, D. Straub, and V. Vaishnavi. "IS Bibliographic Repository (ISBIB): A Central Repository of Research Information for the IS Community."
Communications of the AIS, Vol. 8: Article 27, May 2002.
36. Kuechler, W., V. Vaishnavi, and D. Kuechler, "Supporting Optimization of Business-toBusiness e-Commerce Relationships." Decision Support Systems, pp 363-377, July 2001.
37. Fraser, M. D. and V. K. Vaishnavi. “A Formal Specification Maturity Model and its Operationalization." Communications of the ACM 40, pp. 95-103, 1997.
39. Vaishnavi, V. K. "On k-Dimensional Balanced Binary Trees." Journal of Computer and System Sciences (Academic Press), Vol. 52, No. 2, pp. 328-348, 1996.
40. Fraser, M. D., K. Kumar, and V. K. Vaishnavi. "Strategies for Incorporating Formal Specifications in Software Development." Communications of the ACM, Vol. 37, No. 10, pp. 74-86, 1994.
41. Srivastava, A. and V. K. Vaishnavi. "A Framework for Development of Generalized Systems for Tutoring: An Object-Oriented Hypermedia approach." Journal of Computer Information Systems, pp. 62-68, Winter 1994.
42. Korson, T. D. and V. K. Vaishnavi. "Managing Emerging Software Technologies: A Technology Transfer Framework." Communications of the ACM, Vol. 35, No. 3, pp. 101Korson, T. D. and V. K. Vaishnavi. "Analysis and Modeling in Software Development."
Communications of the ACM, Vol. 35, No 3, pp. 32-34, 1992.
44. Vaishnavi, V. K. and G. Buchanan. "Expert Systems Track in the Graduate Computer Information Systems Program at Georgia State University: A Balanced Approach." Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 4, pp. 195-201, 1992.
45. Fraser, M. D., Kuldeep Kumar, and V. K. Vaishnavi. "Informal and Formal Requirements Specification Languages: Bridging the Gap." IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, Vol. 17, pp. 454-466, 1991.
46. Vaishnavi, V. K. and T. D. Korson. "Height-Analysis of k-Dimensional Leaf and Node Height-Balanced Trees: A New Approach." BIT, Vol. 31, pp. 36-49, 1991.
47. Vaishnavi, V. K. "Erratum: Weighted Leaf AVL-Trees." SIAM Journal on Computing, Vol. 19, p. 591, 1990.
48. Vaishnavi, V. K. "Multidimensional Balanced Binary Trees." IEEE Transactions on Computers, Vol. 38, pp. 968-985, 1989.
49. Rao, N. S. V., V. K. Vaishnavi, and S. S. Iyengar. "On the Dynamization of Data Structures." BIT, Vol. 28, pp. 37-53, 1988.
50. Vaishnavi, V. K. "Weighted Leaf AVL-Trees." SIAM Journal on Computing, Vol. 16, 503
52. Vaishnavi, V. K. "Multidimensional Height-Balanced Trees." IEEE Transactions on Computers, Vol. 33, pp. 334-343, 1984.
53. Vaishnavi, V. K. "Computing Point Enclosures." IEEE Transactions on Computers, Vol. Cpp. 22-29, 1982.
54. Vaishnavi, V. K. and D. Wood. "Line Segment Intersection, Layered Segment Trees, and Dynamization." Journal of Algorithms, Vol. 3, pp. 160-176, 1982.
55. Vaishnavi, V. K. and D. Wood. "Encoding Search Trees in Lists." International Journal of Computer Mathematics, Vol. 10, pp. 237-246, 1982.
56. Vaishnavi, V. K. and D. Wood. "Data Structures for the Rectangle Containment and Enclosure Problems." Computer Graphics and Image Processing, Vol. 13, pp. 372-384, 1980.